CarPlay Random Disconnects - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

CarPlay Random Disconnects

I have searched the forum and don't seem any similar threads but apologies if this kind of issue has already been discussed.

My 2018 EX only has 800 miles so far but Apple CarPlay has randomly disconnected twice. The first time I was streaming Apple Music and it switched over to radio - CarPlay was unavailable for a few seconds and then came back and I was able to restarted the streaming.

The second time I was navigating with Maps and the audio stopped with the screen going white. The audio callout of directions started just coming out of the phone rather than the car speakers and the phone itself was fine (I initially suspected an issue with the phone). After a few seconds the system recovered and I manually selected Maps and video/audio returned.

Not sure if I have a head unit issue or these are typical somewhat rare problems. I have read some other car brands with CarPlay can have similar CarPlay integration issues.

Also wondering if there may be a Niro software update for this kind of problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Are you using an actual Apple Lightning cable? Third party cables, most notably Chinese-made cables, are notorious for not functioning properly with Apple devices, and not supplying enough power. And they're everywhere, from every source, like Amazon, in best buy, or whatever. You have to look for Apple MFI Certification on lightning cables if you want it to work correctly, which is a pain, but it's because a lot of third party manufacturers are cutting corners to make the cable cheaper.

I recommend going to Monoprice if you need any kind of Lighting cable, they have a huge selection, they're inexpensive, and they're all Apple MFI certified.

This is the cable I use, it costs 5 bucks from Monoprice, is certified, and is the exact right length and angle for the little cubby where the USB port is. Monoprice 90 degree 6" Lightning cable

The pic below is that cable in my Niro.

And if the cable isn't the issue on yours, sorry for wasting your time, haha. But I figured I'd mention it just in case, because the third party chinese cable thing is a real issue that will genuinely prevent CarPlay from working correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	3505  

2018 Kia Niro
EX Premium
Metal Stream
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 03:28 PM

I use AndroidAuto instead but have had similar issues. Since I've got a Pixel 2 XL, I can't use the OEM cable, and a lot of the USB-A to USB-C cables available online are also hit-and-miss. Had one cable that would disconnect almost all the time and another that disconnected twice on me. Looks like Kia's USB port is just very sensitive to cable quality.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:09 PM

I'm giving up on non-Apple lighting cords. I've tried four, they all lose the data connection, and sometimes power as well.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote..."Are you using an actual Apple Lightning cable? Third party cables, most notably Chinese-made cables..."

You do realize that Apple makes ALL of its phones and cables in China...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Quote..."Are you using an actual Apple Lightning cable? Third party cables, most notably Chinese-made cables..."

Sure, but better specifications and clearly better quality.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Where they're made isn't really the point and it doesn't make any difference, I specifically mentioned third party cables for a reason. Third party cables can come from anywhere, the difference is whether they are MFI certified or not, and the fact is that most Chinese third party cables are not MFI certified. Obviously Apple's own cables, regardless of where they're made, are MFI certified. Even if they're made in China.

Here's some info on it: https://paracable.com/pages/what-is-...-certification

So the point is that if you need a Lightning cable, either buy an Apple cable, or buy a 3rd party cable that is MFI certified, like the one I posted a link to earlier. Both will work equally well.

2018 Kia Niro
EX Premium
Metal Stream
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:49 AM

My only thought other than the cable quality is I’ve often had issues with lint building up in my lightning port. It makes the cable fit less securely. When it gets really bad it can impact charging by first it starts impacting data and lead to some CarPlay stoppages when the cable jiggled out a little.

You can fix that my using a toothpick to try to clear lint out of the port.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Good lightning cable like Anker or other should solve the issue
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenfort View Post
Good lightning cable like Anker or other should solve the issue
+1 but there are other decent options on 'Zon including their house brands that behave well. Read the user comments but the Anker stuff is great bang for the buck I've used and never had probs and they may indeed be exactly what Apple uses with their branding, but w/o the markup.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page