Issues with safety features? - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TLH1310
  • 1 Post By nguthrie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Issues with safety features?

I am in the market to buy a Niro EX with the Premium Package. Are there any issues with:

1. Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) w/ Pedestrian Detection
  2. Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS)
  3. Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS); or
  4. Smart Cruise Control (SCC)?

For example, do any of the above features not function reasonably well enough, etc.?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 PM

In my opinion, they are good "Tools" when used. They are not "set and forget" instruments that will take over for you. They have limitations, such as the distance limit on the radar, and the SCC has an issue when cars come in from the sides. I've had my Niro for 3 months, and haven't needed to use AEB. The FCWS went off once when a car 2 vehicles ahead of me stopped, activating before the car ahead of me hit the brakes.
Some people have presumed if you set SCC and LKAS, you can sit and read a book while the car drives itself. That is not the case.
Again, my opinion after driving my Niro for 3 months.
69385vette likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:36 PM

My only complaint about the smart cruise control is that when the radar gets obscured by slush ALL cruise control stops working (even the dumb part). I understand that smart cruise can't work without the radar, but it is a bit annoying to lose cruise control completely in bad weather. Other than that it is a nice feature that works as advertised.

Also, I will echo what was said above: LKA is not self-driving. I use it to reduce the amount my arms need to work in long drives, but if the cameras lose sight of the lane markers during a curve the car is just going to go straight ahead so you better keep your hands on the wheel.
charlesH likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nguthrie; 09-13-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page