Rage inducing headlights - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Rage inducing headlights

My wife and I are really enjoying our new '18 Niro PHEV EX Premium. However as the nights get longer, our commute has started to require headlights for the final 15-miles (in a month it'll be the whole commute).

For the past few weeks we've counted how many times people have flashed their high beams at us (we average 6 people per night over the last 3-weeks). This evening though, while my wife was driving home a driver who we were behind pulled up next to us and was not happy, not at all. Definitely rattled my wife, heck he rattled me too.

The "low" beams are the brightest I've ever had in a vehicle that I've owned. So far it appears when toggling the high beams all it really appears to do is increase the effective light transmission above the low beams. The intensity of the low beams don't appear to change, if they do it's minimal.

We haven't reached out to Kia, yet, it's on my agenda for tomorrow.

Anyone else experience this? Anyway to deal with it? Is there a "low-low" beam setting I'm missing?
extech67 and dots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fearing View Post
My wife and I are really enjoying our new '18 Niro PHEV EX Premium. However as the nights get longer, our commute has started to require headlights for the final 15-miles (in a month it'll be the whole commute).

For the past few weeks we've counted how many times people have flashed their high beams at us (we average 6 people per night over the last 3-weeks). This evening though, while my wife was driving home a driver who we were behind pulled up next to us and was not happy, not at all. Definitely rattled my wife, heck he rattled me too.

The "low" beams are the brightest I've ever had in a vehicle that I've owned. So far it appears when toggling the high beams all it really appears to do is increase the effective light transmission above the low beams. The intensity of the low beams don't appear to change, if they do it's minimal.

Anyone else experience this? Anyway to deal with it? Is there a "low-low" beam setting I'm missing?

lights can be adjusted down if you like.

Nobody is flashing us.
lrpavlo likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Garage
Quote:

The LED headlights are definitely bright, brighter than the HIDs on my 2010 Golf TDI which was the previous leader. I've not had anyone flash their brights at us at night, although I've noticed that when I'm driving ahead of the Niro the lights are kind of obnoxious in the rear view. Minor quibble obviously.

I agree with charlesH, if you are bothered by it, take it to the dealer and see if they'll adjust them lower for you. Your's might be a touch high.

Or the people in your area are just really sensitive about it.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Garage
Not much night driving yet, but I get that in my 2015 Ford Fusion. It's one of those danged if you do/don't things for the auto makers. These days they are getting dinged on safety ratings if their headlights aren't insanely bright. I think that's in the Europe standard. Can't remember if it's US too.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:29 AM
TK6

I drove our 2018 Niro PHEV with the LED headlights for about 30 minutes the other night, and got flashed three times. I will be adjusting them lower this weekend. On a side-note, we had another 2018 Niro PHEV that was totaled a couple months ago, and it had HID headlights that didn't have an issue.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 PM

A safety rating agency thinks those lights enhance safety. They may not consider gunshot wounds in the safety ratings.
dots likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:19 AM

Garage
Good point.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 PM

I adjusted the lights on my Niro Touring after a number of flashes.....easy to do, I put a little dab of white finger nail polish on the adjuster and just turned it a couple of notches the direction indicated on the assembly.
extech67 likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 PM

Garage
Quote:

Your beams are just aimed high. Mine were too when I took delivery. The tech took ten minutes adjusted them to the proper height and life was good. Just go back to your dealership. The lights should be at 31.75" high at 25'.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:35 PM

I was also getting flashed with my PHEV EX Premium. I adjusted the headlight aim so that the beam cutoff at the TOP of the hotspot is now parallel to the ground. It was originally adjusted so the CENTER of the hotspot was parallel to the ground. I also then raised the fog light aim so that the TOP of the beam cut off is now also parallel to the ground. Now the foglights fill in the blank areas left by the headlights. The adjustment screw for the fog light is in a hole under the front of the fog lights. Found the difference in color temperature between the halogen fogs and LED headlights distracting, so replaced the fog lights bulbs with BeamTech LED, CSP H11 equivalents. Fog light is now slightly cooler in color compared with headlights, not a perfect match, but acceptable. I self checked and now no more glare and no longer getting flashed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page