re-engages the 12v battery after an automatic shutdown due to low voltage - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

re-engages the 12v battery after an automatic shutdown due to low voltage

any clue what this means and what might cause it...

car started with doors open?

i can not find anything on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v low voltage.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	4107  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 03:14 PM

My salesman told us that if you stop the car and leave the radio playing or the lights on for an extended period of time, it will run down the main battery and you have to hit that button on the lower left hand side of the dash for the 12v reset. Perhaps you left a door ajar and the interior lights were on all night?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

thank you for you response, that will help
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bame View Post
thank you for you response, that will help
Sure. It’s just a guess. Let us know what you figured out. Also, when did that message show up? Did you get in the car in the morning and it was just there’s. Or did you try to start the car and it came up? Or is this a video you were watching since there’s a play icon in the middle of the picture?z
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:03 PM
TK6

Some people have reported that the rear hatch can be tricky to close and if not fully closed, can cause the battery to drain.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Is this a PHEV? Strange language, but if you do have the PHEV, it will recharge the 12 V battery from the traction battery automatically and alert you this happened next time you drive it.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 PM

rear hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Schreyer View Post
Some people have reported that the rear hatch can be tricky to close and if not fully closed, can cause the battery to drain.
i find that you have to firmly shut (slam?) the rear hatch. this was a problem for me during daylight hours because itís not obvious that the cargo light is lit. i tried lubing the latch but this didnít seem to help much so i pulled the bulb rather than worrying about discharging the battery. imho the fixture should have a switch on it like the rest of them. lastly, removing the fixture was more difficult than expected. it appears that it was tacked with a glob of an adhesive that looks liked silicone sealant. after scraping it off it was easy to remove.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:00 PM

My PHEV has this notice on the dash from time to time as well, ive just ignored it. I figure its a hibernation mode, but I drive the car daily, so I don't know really. Until the car gives me any signs of an issue, ill continue to ignore it. the car has quirks, but I like it.

2018 KIA Niro LX Plug-IN - Aurora Black Pearl

2018 KIA Sedona LX - Snow White Pearl
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 PM

Garage
Hmmm...when I have run down the battery enough (car sat idle for weeks at a time) that I have to use the "backup" battery to start, I've never had that screen show up, it is totally dead, blank screen, nothing. Do you have the PHEV like NorCalNiro? Mine is HEV. This also brings to mind a question I've had about leaving the radio going without running the engine. I avoid doing it just because of the warning screen is annoying. What happens if you don't run the engine in that circumstance? Is your warning related to something like that?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeNiro View Post
Hmmm...when I have run down the battery enough (car sat idle for weeks at a time) that I have to use the "backup" battery to start, I've never had that screen show up, it is totally dead, blank screen, nothing. Do you have the PHEV like NorCalNiro? Mine is HEV. This also brings to mind a question I've had about leaving the radio going without running the engine. I avoid doing it just because of the warning screen is annoying. What happens if you don't run the engine in that circumstance? Is your warning related to something like that?
PHEV is in his signature.

Nothing happens if you ignore the message except power to AV (and USB) times out after 10 minutes after you've turned the car off. If you leave your car on to listen to the radio, you will get no messages, but the one time I tried it (with HVAC off in temperate conditions), the engine cycled 3 minutes every 15 minutes.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page