Transmission Sticks in 5th - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 91cavgt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Transmission Sticks in 5th

I have noticed a few times on the highway the transmission does not seem to want to slip into 6th or OD. I sometimes have to put it on performance and then move it up. Is there some way to see my rpm?

2018 Niro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:25 AM

Garage
Nope. No tachometer at all as far as I can tell. However I used the 'Torque' app with a cheap bluetooth OBD II data reader thing (all cars have a common data port) and it could display a tach. I haven't tried it yet on this car.

But I have noticed at interstate speed (85 mph...yikes! Our speed limit is 80) the little 1.6L atkinson engine is nearly at the wall. Yesterday with 3 people in the vehicle it wanted to kick back and forth from 6 to 5 a bit but bear in mind along with the 3 people I have the PHEV version which has a 250 pound battery too. Any little incline/wind gust kicked it down. But I'm at the performance limit of the vehicle. Probably shouldn't drive that fast.

You'll get more shifting oddly with cruise on. It wants to keep a steady speed. On the interstate then even small inclines or even vehicle drafts can fool with it especially in traffic where it is going to want to keep adjusting speed to match. It'll shift less without the cruise on in that situation.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Maintaining a steady state speed manually will result in the same gear changes as on CC. If you are talking steady pedal position, then of course behavior will be different than CC.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 AM

My Niro has this problem no matter what scenario. The DCT does not want to engage when it is in ECO mode. In order to stop the engine from howling I have to slap it back in sport mode which indicates it's hung in fifth gear then bump it up to 6th and then switch back to ECO mode. I wonder if this can be fixed with some adjustments.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:55 PM

I have an OBDII scanner connected and have found in 6th gear the engine rpm is at 2,000 while at 60 mph. At 90 mph it would be at 3,000. I have cruised at 90 mph and can report that the car was not at a wall, if anything just the opposite. It seemed like it wanted to go faster.
FlNiro likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page