Start-Up Steering Wheel Locked - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Start-Up Steering Wheel Locked

Have had the LX for a week now and am loving it, however I've come across one issue when starting up. Apparently sometimes when the car starts up in EV mode and I put the shifter into R before it's done with the welcome/warning screen the transmission will allow the car to move, but the steering wheel is locked and can't be moved. I have to shut down the car completely and wait longer before the issue is corrected. This working as intended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Allen View Post
Have had the LX for a week now and am loving it, however I've come across one issue when starting up. Apparently sometimes when the car starts up in EV mode and I put the shifter into R before it's done with the welcome/warning screen the transmission will allow the car to move, but the steering wheel is locked and can't be moved. I have to shut down the car completely and wait longer before the issue is corrected. This working as intended?
I've noticed the same thing taking the car out of park before it is a actually stated. I hadn't had my foot on the brake when I pushed the start button and the car coasted back down the driveway. Scared me until I realized what I was doing wrong.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:52 PM

The main thing is you will interrupt the startup if you change gears before hearing the startup music. Once you hear the music, you are good to go, no need to wait for it to finish. If you forgot to put your foot on the brake (or fail to wait for music), the music will not play but the dash looks normal except for a key icon. You could turn it off and then repeat, but it is not necessary. Just put your foot on the brake (return to gearshift to Park if not there) and press Start again.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:32 PM

Garage
It apparently is a 'feature'. The car didn't actually 'start'. When I've done it there's a red light then on the start button. You have to put it back in park and reboot. I suppose it's a good thing. It doesn't want you taking off before it's done with its bootup process.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page