Rear seat loose and rattles - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Rear seat loose and rattles

I have had myKia Niro for just shy of 2 weeks now. I was loving it but over the past few days it started to drive me nuts. I developed a rattle that just got worse and worse. I had a very hard time to figure it out. It sounded like it was coming from the pasenger side rear, but if you drove around sitting in that spot the noise just didn't occur. As soon as you sat in the front with the rear seats empty the rattle noise came back.

I thought it might have been the seat belts but I figured out there was a small slot that you can put them into so they wouldn't bang. Yet the sound continuded until I reaized that the actual seat top that you sit on was sort of a bit loose. You can lift it up about 1-2mm. If I put something heavy on the seat the noise goes away. Now I have to see if my dealership will take on fixing the problem. You can easily see that seat is loose, but no idea if this is something that will be easy to fix. I assume that the top is removable as isn't that where the batteries are located?

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:08 PM

Don't stress over it. Just take it to the dealer and let them worry about it. That's what the warranty is for. They should give you a loaner if it takes them awhile.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

sadly is it in my nature and mental state that I just agonize worry about things. I have had a weeks worth of sleepless nights just pondering back and forth about snow tires. I never had them with my old cars up until the last one (my Ford Edge) and seemed to survive, but was convinced that I should have them. I have mainly used Michelin LTX M+S tires that are sort of designed for winter driving but not to the same standard as a snow tire. We have had some bad weather over the past few years. Not so much the snow part of things, but more the warming up and swapping between the +2C to -5C where you tend to get roads with lots of the black ice. Now last year I almost got into a really bad accident even with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 that the ABS was firing away but the car just kept on going. Luckily for me, the car in front of me kept going even more and We just slid together through the red light intersection.

Now I know this is a totally different car, with almost 2,000lbs less curb weight, so it should drive totally different in snow but my inside voice is still screaming with how it will be on the roads with ice? And if I should go for a year or two to wear down the current Michelin Energy Saver tires and replace them with a far better Nokian WRG3 that is really designed for snow and winter but is also quite energy efficient.

GTA - Canada.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:52 PM

Pull the top of the seat all the way out and back in again. That might fix the rattle. Have a look while it is off to see if there is something else obvious.

Mine cannot rattle because I took it out and built a new load floor. Lightened it up and created a lot more room.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Garage
My plan is to buy a full second set of rims and mount snow tires on them. Then all you need to do is swap them out spring/fall. Thus you will have great traction in winter AND have the high efficiency tires in summer and the total cost of tires is exactly the same as if you wore out the tires then put a new set on and wore those out. The only thing you're out is the price of a set of rims which are
A) reusable (obvious)
B) can be sold if you ever get rid of the car.

So your long term net out of pocket cost is negligible. The tire store should do the seasonal swap for free if you buy the rims/tires from them. Oh and snow tires aren't just for snow. They are also superior on ice. This particular article gives a very thorough review of several brands.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mpared-feature

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...old-war-page-2

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ce-data-page-3
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 AM

Just bought a set of snow tires for my PHEV. Since we're leasing I chose not to buy the rims since I doubt I will need them at the end of the lease. The fall/spring swap will cost me, however, so I'm still not sure I made the right decision.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:54 AM

I'd ask a couple of tire stores about their policy of swapping tires seasonally. It is possible that if you buy your tires from them, they will have some sort of policy, perhaps extra cost or free to lower your cost. I'm too far south to "have" to have winter tires but they would be nice just to work better in the cold. I asked my tire store but they would charge their normal mount/dismount charge. Tires mounted on an extra set of rims would fit into their lifetime balance and rotation. I don't want the hassle and cost of extra rims so neither option makes financial sense. Although if it prevented one accident...

I added a separate policy for my OEM tires at $80 for road hazard (also included lifetime rotation/balance). Good thing too because I keep whacking the tires on curbs, still not used to the extra width of the car.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Back to the original topic. The dealer did replace the plastic clips on the rear seat. Now it fits significantly tighter than it did before. As well, I had told him about the door seeming to rattle as well, and so they took that apart and said that the electric motor assembly for the window was not tightened down completely and that it has movement in it. They fixed that and now the car sounds more normal when driving. I understand that there will be some road noise as you go over bumps and undulations on the road, but the lingering rattle part has now gone.

GTA - Canada.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 06:34 PM

I'm glad you got things taken care of. Thanks a lot for the update on the outcome. It stinks when somebody gets us all involved in their problem and then leaves us all hanging and doesn't share the final outcome.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:20 PM

Yes, glad you got your rattle fixed. Back to your second topic: the seasonal snow tire swap at Costco is $40. At Tires Plus it's $50. Over the life of the tires that adds up. Would've been nice to find a place that does that for free.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium - Aurora Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page