Bad LCD Panel? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Bad LCD Panel?

Just picked up my 2019 EX and it looks like the LCD panel is bad. There is a green line down the center of the screen. Not a great start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A5D0FD3-C0A9-4984-BB29-0C3A47DC275C_1539827658101.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	4131  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:31 PM

Garage
Yep, either display driver or display panel itself has a column that is dead.....
Warranty issue.
See the dealer.

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 AM

Garage
Should be an easy fix. As said above, warranty issue, see the dealer.

Don't stress, all LCDs sometimes have defects. Some LCD TV manufacturers won't even cover dead pixels with the warranty unless 5+ pixels are dead. But kia should cover that issue no problem, that is obviously a factory defect.

2018 PHEV
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I emailed my salesperson a photo and I am requesting a loaner being I drove it off the lot that way. Just not something you want to deal with on day one of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Should be an easy fix. As said above, warranty issue, see the dealer.

Don't stress, all LCDs sometimes have defects. Some LCD TV manufacturers won't even cover dead pixels with the warranty unless 5+ pixels are dead. But kia should cover that issue no problem, that is obviously a factory defect.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM

That is a software issue.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
That is a software issue.

not necessarily..... display drivers do go bad, as well as a loose connection on a ribbon cable will produce this effect!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Not sure what you mean by display drivers but the term usually means software to me (as in updated drivers). I'm not an expert, but I've seen a lot of cable issues, and this isn't one I've seen before. Possible of course.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

That is not a software or driver issue. the line is causes by either a bad pin to one of the lcd ports or a bad cable hookup. It rather sucks that it was an issue that they should have caught before they let the car leave the lot with you. But likely as with any dealership, they figure it's better to give the customer the car than hold it back. When I got mine, they had 4 days they said it would take from when we signed the deal to when I could pick up the car. supposedly to prep and get the car ready. we showed up and ended up waiting for over an hour as the car wasn't finished. Mine went out with all sorts of problems and had gone back to the dealership quite a few times. I look at it now as since they pissed me off enough by the attitude, any single fault gets brought in and the service manager now deals with me and I give him the list of what I think his wrong and then he goes out with me to look and if it requires a drive then he comes. I figure that i might as well get the perfectly working car and not let anything slip by that I have a question about.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Not sure what you mean by display drivers but the term usually means software to me (as in updated drivers). I'm not an expert, but I've seen a lot of cable issues, and this isn't one I've seen before. Possible of course.

I do board level repairs of electronic equipment, among other things, in order to get a LCD panel to display proper data, you need an IC such as this....

I really DISLIKE how you cannot incorporate a GIF or JPEG into a post, see attached pic...G'rrrrr

The bit at the top, "buffers" are the final output to the display. if one transistor craps out, you get a green line in a display, or red, or blue, or no display black, or all on white.

I might consider replacing the chip itself, but KIA will just swap out the board that contains the circuitry. It's a more cost effective way of fixing the problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display drivers.gif
Views:	64
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	4137  

73's de Pat KK6PD

Last edited by KK6PD; 10-19-2018 at 07:20 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:04 PM

So the options are hardware, cables, drivers, or software? I think we have have it narrowed down!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page