strange (loud) brake noise? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
aak

Question strange (loud) brake noise?

My 2018 Niro PHEV has been making an occasional (and when it happens quite loud) noise when braking. I've got an appointment with the dealer on Monday, but figured I'd see if anyone else had experienced this.

The best way I can describe the noise is that if anyone has ever had a car that sat for a long time with the parking brake on, and when you started driving it the brake didn't fully disengage and it made a loud metallic "gronnnnnk" sound. Or maybe like the sound it makes if you've ignored the brake wear warning and run your pads down to the metal. (But not really a grinding sound, so that's not quite it.) It really is quite loud - loud enough that people around me notice it when it happens.

I can't be 100% sure, but I feel like it's coming from the back of the car, not the front. I also can't be 100% sure, but it feels to me like I'm getting the noise during the "regen" portion of braking, when I've first pressed the pedal down. It doesn't seem to happen during harder braking.

When it does happen, it's maybe 2-4 times that I'll get the noise when I press the pedal, then it stops.

At first I thought it might actually be the parking brake, but I've had it happen a couple of times when I've intentionally not set the brake.

The only other standout data point I can come up with is that it seems to happen much more often on the way home from work than on the way to work. My office is quite close to the ocean, and my house is ~15mi/25km inland so maybe a moisture thing? But I'm not sure it has even happened enough times to be useful data.

I know on Monday I'm going to be that crazy person at the dealer talking about a noise I can't reproduce. Maybe I'll see if I can record it.

Has anyone else had anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Common on all cars for rust to form on disks and stick to brake pads, requiring an abrupt release. Should be less common on our cars as part of making the car more efficient is to have a more positive pad retraction design to reduce drag while moving. There have been reports that the parking brake spring is too weak and there is apparently a fix with a stronger spring. Not a TSB so your dealer may have to dig deeper. Anyway, that could be the problem.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak View Post
My 2018 Niro PHEV has been making an occasional (and when it happens quite loud) noise when braking. I've got an appointment

with the dealer on Monday, but figured I'd see if anyone else had experienced this.

The best way I can describe the noise is that if anyone has ever had a car that sat for a long time with the parking brake on, and when you started driving it the brake didn't fully disengage and it made a loud metallic "gronnnnnk" sound. Or maybe like the sound it makes if you've ignored the brake wear warning and run your pads down to the metal. (But not really a grinding sound, so that's not quite it.) It really is quite loud - loud enough that people around me notice it when it happens.

I can't be 100% sure, but I feel like it's coming from the back of the car, not the front. I also can't be 100% sure, but it feels to me like I'm getting the noise during the "regen" portion of braking, when I've first pressed the pedal down. It doesn't seem to happen during harder braking.

When it does happen, it's maybe 2-4 times that I'll get the noise when I press the pedal, then it stops.

At first I thought it might actually be the parking brake, but I've had it happen a couple of times when I've intentionally not set the brake.

The only other standout data point I can come up with is that it seems to happen much more often on the way home from work than on the way to work. My office is quite close to the ocean, and my house is ~15mi/25km inland so maybe a moisture thing? But I'm not sure it has even happened enough times to be useful data.

I know on Monday I'm going to be that crazy person at the dealer talking about a noise I can't reproduce. Maybe I'll see if I can record it.

Has anyone else had anything like this?
I have the same issue, possibly. My brake pedal makes a noise when I press it quickly. The car does not need to be moving. If you press it several times the noise will go away for awhile. The service manager just told me this is normal. It’s the shift lock mechanism. I don’t believe it at all. My car is a 2017 Niro Touring. I just borrowed a 2019 Niro that had no noise.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:39 PM

I am having the same issue. 10000 miles.
Hit the brakes and get a strange sound. Hard to describe.
Went to dealer and had it checked they said it was a buildup on brakes. I donít think thatís it. Sounds like ABS system noise.
Just turn radio up until something breaks. 😀
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:35 AM

I have 2019 Niro and there are lots of noise ( crackling noise ) when starting, stopping and braking. So noises come out just about any time.
Noise is becoming more frequent and louder. My fairview NJ Kia service manager told this is normal. But it is very uncomfortable driving around with these kind of noise coming from car. If this is normal, I would not have purchased this car in the first place.

Dear Rita&Ben, could you write follow up at dealer please?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nironoise View Post
I have 2019 Niro and there are lots of noise ( crackling noise ) when starting, stopping and braking. So noises come out just about any time.
Noise is becoming more frequent and louder. My fairview NJ Kia service manager told this is normal. But it is very uncomfortable driving around with these kind of noise coming from car. If this is normal, I would not have purchased this car in the first place.

Dear Rita&Ben, could you write follow up at dealer please?

if you hear the "noise" in stop-n-go, you are probably hearing DTC in action. if you have experience driving a manual, it sounds just like that.

For those with brake noise, press hard on a safe road to get the dust/buildup off the rotor. when i looked at the front rotor, it still looks brand new after 1200 miles of commuting miles because of the regenerative braking, i expect the rotor and the pads to last as long as I own the Niro.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page