Drive system failed in stop and go traffic - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Drive system failed in stop and go traffic

Stuck in traffic jam for two hours. Watched the charge gauge drop down to three bars. Gas engine wasn't being called often enough to keep a normal level of charge. Car stopped. No gas drive or electric motor drive. Put it in neutral, nothing. Put it in sport mode and engine started. Got through the traffic jam and once the battery had been charged up to a normal level I put it back in drive. Now everything back to normal. Off to the dealer today to see if any abnormalities were recorded on the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosbryan View Post
Stuck in traffic jam for two hours. Watched the charge gauge drop down to three bars. Gas engine wasn't being called often enough to keep a normal level of charge. Car stopped. No gas drive or electric motor drive. Put it in neutral, nothing. Put it in sport mode and engine started. Got through the traffic jam and once the battery had been charged up to a normal level I put it back in drive. Now everything back to normal. Off to the dealer today to see if any abnormalities were recorded on the computer.
If it ever happens again, you might try raising the interior temperature knob to max and then turn on the Blower FAN. That thing will pretty much start the gasoline engine anytime, even if the battery level is up around 80%. Unfortunately, it also takes a big bite out of fuel economy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 PM

I saw the battery drop well down during a big traffic jam but the ice would kick in if it got too low to charge back up the battery, so never saw that issue. So it may be some flaw.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:21 AM

I've had my PHEV battery down to 6%, and also had the 'check hybrid system' come on twice, but go off after cycling the system off and on.
It is concerning.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page