auto headlights/DRL - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

auto headlights/DRL

I like to leave my lights in auto mode. However, sometimes they don't turn on when I think they should.

Shouldn't DRLs be on all the time and headlights only come on when sunlight is too weak?

Sometimes I'm driving during the day or dusk in auto mode and nothing in on.?

Does anyone know where the external light sensor is? Could it be dirty? Dirty would tend to make them stay on more than required?

Is anyone else seeing an issue with auto mode?

There is a reference in the user manual to some connection to headlights and windshield wipers. What's that all about or is that just a big typo?

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
I haven't noticed anything unusual with my DRL's, they seem to be operating as they are supposed to. I leave my headlights in "auto" mode all the time, too.

The sensor is, I believe, one of those nubby things sitting on the center of the dash under the windshield:

2018 PHEV
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
There is a reference in the user manual to some connection to headlights and windshield wipers. What's that all about or is that just a big typo?
For cars equipped with high beam assist (auto dimming I believe) and rain sensors. Manual isn't good about saying cars "so equipped".

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
I like to leave my lights in auto mode. However, sometimes they don't turn on when I think they should.

Shouldn't DRLs be on all the time and headlights only come on when sunlight is too weak?

Sometimes I'm driving during the day or dusk in auto mode and nothing in on.?

Does anyone know where the external light sensor is? Could it be dirty? Dirty would tend to make them stay on more than required?

Is anyone else seeing an issue with auto mode?

Mine seem to turn on when not needed, like if I'm driving east in the evening with the sun behind me sometimes they'll turn on. I haven't noticed them not on when I wanted them to be. They turn on pretty quick in tunnels and parking garages for me as well.

I think the windshield wiper thing just means that if you have the lights in "Auto" and turn on the wipers, the headlights come on. That's how it works in my '18 EX Premium PHEV anyway.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I haven't noticed anything unusual with my DRL's, they seem to be operating as they are supposed to. I leave my headlights in "auto" mode all the time, too.

The sensor is, I believe, one of those nubby things sitting on the center of the dash under the windshield:

When in auto mode, are your DRL on even if the headlights are not? I thought DRLs are on all the time regardless of the sun.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
For cars equipped with high beam assist (auto dimming I believe) and rain sensors. Manual isn't good about saying cars "so equipped".
thx, that explains the wiper thing.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Do Niro's have these 2 options ??

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post

That's the light that blinks to let you know that the alarm is enabled.....................perhaps it is also the light sensor.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 AM

Not all trim levels of the 2017 Niro have daytime running lights.........ours is the 2017 EX and DOES have them, it's the LED lights at the very bottom of the car near the fog lights.......... the headlights do NOT run as DRL lights in any capacity................what year/trim level do you have?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
Mine seem to turn on when not needed, like if I'm driving east in the evening with the sun behind me sometimes they'll turn on. I haven't noticed them not on when I wanted them to be. They turn on pretty quick in tunnels and parking garages for me as well.

I think the windshield wiper thing just means that if you have the lights in "Auto" and turn on the wipers, the headlights come on. That's how it works in my '18 EX Premium PHEV anyway.
If the sun's behind you, perhaps they should be on because that might mean that oncoming traffic has the sun in their eyes and can't easily see you.

I re-read that description in the owner's manual several times before finally reaching the same conclusion that you reached. It probably means that the headlights come on if the switch is in auto mode and you turn the wipers on. Some states in the USA have a law that requires headlights to be on if your wipers are on, so it makes sense that they would design that behavior into the car.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page