Shift delay - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FlNiro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Shift delay

I have a new 2019 PHEV purchased 12/2018. I have a significant issue/concern with the shifting behavior. When shifting between Drive and Reverse (either way) there is a substantial delay (2 to 3 seconds) in the transmission engaging. By description 2-3 seconds doesn't sound like much but when you are trying to 'switch gears and go' it seems like an eternity. It is also dangerous to keep rolling backwards for 2 seconds after you have shifted and want/expect to move forward. By instinct you press the accelerator harder and then when it does engage your lunge. I have seen the discussion about a lurch/lunge issue but to me this issue is about the significant shift delay. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if there is anything that can be done about it. I have talked to 2 dealerships who say it is "not a problem". To me it is. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:52 PM

I think 2-3 seconds is indeed too long. I have a HEV and it doesn't have any delay I would think yours shouldn't either. You should visit your dealer and ask them to try it with you sitting next to him and see what they say. The other thing is to see if the dealer has the same car as yours in stock and drive that to see if you experience the same delay or not. When I re read your post I see your talking about rolling backward. I hope your coming to a complete stop before shifting from reverse to drive. If not that could be the problem.
TK6 likes this.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-

Last edited by FlNiro; 02-14-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Two seconds is about right for reverse to forward without using the brakes for a full stop first. I believe the delay is the DCT - extra work for a slow clutch engagement versus instant engagement while fully stopped. Kia naturally advises against a shift like this without a full stop first.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenver View Post
I have a new 2019 PHEV purchased 12/2018. I have a significant issue/concern with the shifting behavior. When shifting between Drive and Reverse (either way) there is a substantial delay (2 to 3 seconds) in the transmission engaging. By description 2-3 seconds doesn't sound like much but when you are trying to 'switch gears and go' it seems like an eternity. It is also dangerous to keep rolling backwards for 2 seconds after you have shifted and want/expect to move forward. By instinct you press the accelerator harder and then when it does engage your lunge. I have seen the discussion about a lurch/lunge issue but to me this issue is about the significant shift delay. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if there is anything that can be done about it. I have talked to 2 dealerships who say it is "not a problem". To me it is. Thoughts? Thanks in advance. Paula
Interesting shifting technique. If you use the brake to come to a complete stop before shifting, does it still take a long time, or is it only when you try to shift while you are in motion in the opposite direction that it takes a long time?

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Two seconds is about right for reverse to forward without using the brakes for a full stop first. I believe the delay is the DCT - extra work for a slow clutch engagement versus instant engagement while fully stopped. Kia naturally advises against a shift like this without a full stop first.
Bingo. I've noticed the same thing. The car will definitely roll for a few feet before the clutch engages. Kind of like feathering the clutch in a normal manual transmission.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 PM

I also have a 2019 PHEV purchased 12/18. I've never noticed any significant "lag" when shifting from D to R, or the opposite. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I NEVER shift without first coming to a full stop using the brakes. Not sure why you'd want to do that, and it doesn't sound very safe either.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:54 PM

me too

I've noticed the same behavior. We have a fairly steep driveway, and when we back down it into the street, if we shift to D while it's rolling back, it continues to roll back even when we press the accelerator. Maybe it's lazy behavior that's bad for the dual clutch transmission? (I much prefer the CVT in my Volt, BTW.)

I guess we'll all have to learn to stop using the brakes first, then accelerate forward!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page