Media console black screen - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Media console black screen

I got my Niro premium 3 months ago. Today I started the car. Media screen is just black. No music, no navigation. Nothing. Tried apply play. No image. Shift gear to reverse, nothing shows either. Anyone had the same experience? What can I try to resolve this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds an awful lot like a trip out to the dealership as the screen might be blown or a connector has come looose. I had an experiance with my Ford Edge where one of the consoles stopped working. It was out of warrany and I ended up taking it into the dealership who diangnosed it as a pannel failure. The cost of replacement was pretty steep so I found one on ebay and replaced it myself. As I now had the old one taken off, I took it upon myself to see what might have failed. it turned out it was a ribon connector that had oxidized. I could have fixed it by removing the pannel, and cut off two platic tabs. lifted the ribon cable and cleaning it with a pink erasor, then put it back together. I did try to broken pannel back on the Edge and it worked fine, but I decided as I had bought one off ebay just to use it. I brink this up as likely the front display pannel or the infotainment system are plugged in using one of these ribon cables. they are very comon.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 PM

Restarting your car will probably fix it. I've had it go black and while pushing one of the buttons below like apps will relight it, as soon as you try to touch something on the screen it goes black again. It has happened twice in the year I've owned it. Programming bug that for me was cleared on next restart. Bit unsettling first time it happens though. I think it is uncommon as I've not seen it mentioned before here or on the Ioniq forum.

If it is really broken, your warranty covers it.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Restarting your car will probably fix it. I've had it go black and while pushing one of the buttons below like apps will relight it, as soon as you try to touch something on the screen it goes black again. It has happened twice in the year I've owned it. Programming bug that for me was cleared on next restart. Bit unsettling first time it happens though. I think it is uncommon as I've not seen it mentioned before here or on the Ioniq forum.

If it is really broken, your warranty covers it.
Yep, it's happened to me at least once in the year I've had the car.

FYI, the procedure to fix issues like this is correctly termed the "Raytheon Reset". According to lore it comes from the development of the first heat seeking missile for the Air Force (US). The early models had a tendency to lock onto the Sun instead of the target. To fix the problem Raytheon added a "Break Lock" button to the control panel to clear the erroneous lock. In actuality all the button did was turn the missile off and then turn it back on again.

Works for any number of electronics. For example:

https://gizmodo.com/hubble-telescope...uVgX1374tMDOYA

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:03 PM

it has happened to me 3 times but can solve it by pushing the 'radio' button and the screen comes back
Not ideal but it works so far.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Not sure that fixes it. I can get the screen back by using a button, but any touch on the screen makes it go black again. Only turning the car off and on works for me.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 AM

I've experienced this on my 2019 Ex Premium as well. Three times now, once while driving. The touch screen goes blank but the music from my iPhone keeps playing. It only comes back after turning the car off and back on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:17 PM

While there seems to be a fairly easy workaround (Raytheon Reset ), this seems like a significant flaw to me!
Has anyone talked to their dealer about this? If so, what was their response?

Between this and a few other "issues" such as hybrid system failure incidences, I beginning to have get a bit shaky about purchasing a Niro
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:54 PM

There are a hundred million plus lines of coding in modern cars. Pretty hard to fix minor issues but I'm sure they must be aware of this. Probably have other priorities, this is not quite 737 Max level of danger. May not happen in other markets with different coding.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have not experienced the centre consol display stop working or going black other than when I have hit the button to turn it off (while in a parking lot). So I don't know if I would get all worked up that this is a design flaw that is in every car. If you can't get it to fail on command for the dealership, then I would use your phone. Pull over to the side of the road and sadly INVEST SOME TIME AND EFFORT. use your phone to record a video of it not working. Show them that you have tried to diagnose it and what buttons you press and how it does nothing to fix it. Then you can pull out the video at the dealership and DEMAND that they fix the **** thing as it keeps breaking. I don't care if it is intermittent, is it stopping functioning part of the correct design operation of the car. They want to keep it for a week. FINE, then give me a comparable loaner car to drive around while you diagnose the issue. You might have to get loud but it will get fixed.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page