Hybrid System Failure - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:38 AM

That would sour me up too. It's bad enough to break down in the driveway or limp out of traffic, but going flat dead at a stop light isn't cool at all. Please let us know what the dealer concludes was the cause of the failure.
Dovidan likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:41 PM

And to top it off, it was pouring down rain! I’ll update when I know something.
Dovidan likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:52 PM

My 2017 Niro did the same thing to me in rush hour traffic yesterday. Dashboard lot up like Christmas tree and warning said hybrid system failure. It has 28k on it. Waiting to hear from dealership it was towed to but they did update me that the engine wouldn't even start to get a mileage read yesterday.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldnfawn View Post
On my way into work, my car slightly jerked, and 4 warning lights came on. Received a message check hybrid system. I head straight to dealer, and while waiting for them to open I turn my car off. When the dealership opens, I start my car, all I get is my dashboard. I have no engine. Still awaiting verdict from dealer. Anyone else have this happen?

I'm curious about the fact that per the manual, ALL hybrid system components are supposed to fall under the 10year/100,000 mile warranty. Unless they look at belts as "consumable wear & tear" items like brakes/rotors and the 12v battery, shouldn't this be covered? Belts shouldn't be breaking that early. Regarding belts/chains, it was my understanding that Kia and Hyundai started moving away from TIMING BELTS about 10 years ago and went back to the old fashioned CHAINS. The HSG on the other hand must be a belt but again, I can't see why that shouldn't be covered under the 10/100 HYBRID warranty. I stress HYBRID because in addition to the 10/100 powertrain warranty the HYBRID components warranty is also 10/100.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM

After 10 days of my car being in the shop, and not being able to start at all, they think they figured out that it is a “hybrid relay fuse” issue. We will find out. If you haven’t, I strongly recommend contacting Kia Consumer Affairs to stay on top of it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGChicago View Post
After 10 days of my car being in the shop, and not being able to start at all, they think they figured out that it is a ďhybrid relay fuseĒ issue. We will find out. If you havenít, I strongly recommend contacting Kia Consumer Affairs to stay on top of it.
When do they think you'll get it back?

I'm noticing a pattern here, where it seems like anyone who has a problem with the hybrid system winds up with the car in the shop for a rather long time. I imagine some of that delay is to be expected: the mechanics who've been trained on the hybrids are likely to be among the best mechanics in any shop, and they are probably booked for several days in advance for other work that their employer has scheduled. But I wonder if there's more than just that going on. Shortage of parts on hand? Lack of diagnostic equipment for the Niro's electric systems?

The other thing I'm wondering about: you said you were stopped and it was raining. So I'm guessing that the ICE was off and that you might have had a high electrical load particularly on the 12V circuits (wipers, headlights, if you were running the defroster then the AC might have been on as well as the cabin fan, maybe you were also running the rear defogger and/or the heated seats?). Of course, that's nothing compared to the load to propel the car electrically. And it doesn't seem like a relay fuse should care how high the load is: the relay should care about that and the fuse should just care about how much load is needed to energize the relay. Still, I wonder if there was something about high load, with no HSG contribution, that pushed the fuse over the edge?

Please let us know the part number for whatever gets replaced. It will be interesting to see if it is the same part that was replaced for celticmg.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 PM

Resolution! To your point about the rain and the electric load - it didn’t start raining until right after the car stopped. Windshield wipers and other things were not on. So, 11 days in and I got the car back. It ended up being the Fuse - high voltage (I think it’s part no. 375F2-A8170. Hope this info helps others!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGChicago View Post
Resolution! To your point about the rain and the electric load - it didnít start raining until right after the car stopped. Windshield wipers and other things were not on. So, 11 days in and I got the car back. It ended up being the Fuse - high voltage (I think itís part no. 375F2-A8170. Hope this info helps others!
Glad to hear it was resolved. Sounds like my previous conjecture about electrical load was a little off base (another perfectly good theory, shot to **** ). On the other hand, I imagine that the fuse probably blew at the instant that the computer asked the HSG to start the ICE, which is probably a pretty good load all unto itself.

Thank you for providing the part number that your dealer told you was the solution to the problem. This forum can benefit from that kind of detailed information.

The part number you mentioned is kind of interesting. It's actually a high voltage fuse, and it's located adjacent to the relay that celticmg reported needed to be replaced. in his case That leaves me wondering if maybe celticmg's service technician replaced both the relay and the fuse, when only the fuse needed to be replaced. (It wouldn't be the first time that a mechanic used a process-of-elimination approach to troubleshoot a problem, and replaced more parts than were actually necessary, and then billed for everything that was replaced, or at least, for the highest cost component that they replaced).

It looks like Kia has two variants of the 375F2 fuse. One version was produced beginning in June 2017, and the other beginning in November 2017. According to this web page, your replacement is the one from November 2017. Maybe there are just two different suppliers for this fuse, or maybe Kia recognized that there was something problematic about the original variant (375F2-G2120). I'd be a little uneasy about this question if my Niro was manufactured prior to about December 2017. You can find the manufacture date for your car on the stickers on the driver's door.

Anyone with an older Niro contemplating the idea of maybe proactively replacing this fuse as a DIY project in order to avoid the kind of let-down that DGChicago experienced needs to contemplate that it has a cost of about $45+, and more importantly, because it's a high-voltage fuse, you could be killed if you try to replace it and you don't de-energize the circuit before you attempt the replacement. In other words, probably best to ask your Kia dealer if maybe it should be proactively replaced in order to reduce the probability of having the fuse fail at an inopportune moment, that might lead to a need for towing, rental cars, and all the rest, rather than trying to do it yourself, unless you have a really good understanding of how to de-energize the high voltage circuit and then verify (perhaps with a multi-meter) that it really is de-energized.

Thanks again for the details on your outcome. I'm curious to know how the OP for this thread made out. goldnfawn, what was the solution in your case?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page