Slight jerking when the brake is applied - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roadkill401

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Slight jerking when the brake is applied

Hi,

Sometimes when I press the brake pedal to slow down to a certain speed or stop the vehicle completely, I feel such a slight pulsation or jerking under the brake, especially when it is cold.

Have you encountered such a feeling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Are you saying you are feeling the jerking or pulsation in the actual pedal? I find that hard to understand as the breaks pedal system is totally electronic so it's impossible for it to happen. The break pedal is just an electronic variable resistor (in simplified terms) and is in no way physically connected to the hydraulics in the brake system.

If you are talking about the car itself feeling like it is pulsing. You need to look at the amount of regenerative braking on the screen. There are two sections of regen. The thin part is totally the electric motor doing all the work. holding at the point where the thin part meets the thicker part is where you are going to get the maximum regen to battery for the breaking speed. That is not saying you will stop the fastest but get the most electricity back into the battery. As you go into the thicker part, you start to use the hydraulic breaks along with your electric motor regen. Your pulsing might be you are pressing just enough to get the hydraulic breaks use, but not enough to get them to engage enough to grip and clean the crap on the rotors/pads, so they give a pulse.
gardavis likes this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMeL View Post
Hi,

Sometimes when I press the brake pedal to slow down to a certain speed or stop the vehicle completely, I feel such a slight pulsation or jerking under the brake, especially when it is cold.

Have you encountered such a feeling?
I've noticed similar behavior occasionally. I think it's just the car transitioning from regenerative braking to the friction brakes as the car slows. I notice it most often starting out in the morning at parking lot speeds.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Braking by wire is illegal, you absolutely have direct physical hydraulic brakes if the power goes out.

Yes, (almost) all hybrid/EV vehicles have a point in braking where there is a transition between the regenerative motor braking and the physical braking. Can feel pretty weird on a lot of cars. The Niro is quite good though. Personally, I'm almost never waffling around that transition point and the physical brakes are only used for the coming to a full stop below 6 mph when stopping gently.

The only cars that I know of that don't have this transition zone are Teslas. Their brake pedal is only hydraulic and does not control the regen. So braking on Teslas feel completely normal without a computer algorithm involved.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:00 PM

I notice a slight creek when I brake. If I roll down the windows and pull into my garage slowly it feels like the suspension creeks and car shakes a little.
I'm not sure if it's normal but my car is only a few months old so it must be. It is not really noticeable unless I'm paying attention to it.

Kia Niro PHEV Touring 2019
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 PM

Probably what you are feeling is the brakes fighting the motor creep (which is set for 6 mph). Same deal with standard automatic cars, they creep and if you want to go below that speed, you have to hold the brakes on while moving very slowly. That can cause vibration (or creaking) and shaking.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

What if he shakes the car while braking, as if the brakes are unevenly braking?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:00 PM

My old car, a Ford Fusion Hybrid, had a very noticable change between regen and friction brakes. The Niro is quite transparent, almost like you cant even tell.

Fusion forums are full of people asking about the brakes, some even calling the feeling unsafe. I never felt unsafe, I guess if you didnt realize what was happening, it might feel odd or unusual.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:07 PM

Only thing I may notice in the transition is a gritty feel as the pads first hit the disk. But most of the time, I'm slowing to 6 mph on regen so I only experience that feel coming to the last few feet before a stop, or in a slight emergency situation where I've got other things I'm paying attention to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page