2019 Niro Phev won't start - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2019 Niro Phev won't start

Well, at least it is Saturday and my car is in the driveway. I had several issues happen.

1. Warning message displayed when it went thru the startup sequence: Check Regenerative Braking System. Car is fully charged. I tried a few times and each time it displayed the message and would not drive at all. I opened the front windows due to the heat (S. Fl). I went in the house to check the internet and had no hits on that message. Nor was the message mentioned in the owner's manual.

2. Tried again and this time, it did not go thru the startup check and instead displayed that the key was not found. The fob was in my pocket. None of the buttons did anything. The other fob was with my wife somewhere.

3. Called Kia Roadside Assistance to tow the car to a local dealer. I am waiting for him to arrive (given 90 minutes). I tried again. This time when I stepped on the brake, it vibrated. Nothing on the display. Nothing when I pressed the start button.

4. Wife arrived and I tried her fob. This time, the brake did not vibrate and the car just seems completely dead. The windows are still down and no way to get them up.

Looks like I will have to work from home Monday and hopefully they will be able to fix the problem quickly. This is the first issue with the Niro since I got it about 5 months ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:05 PM

Does the PHEV have the battery reset button?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No but I wonder if it is a defective 12v battery?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Maybe. The HEV does not have a 12 volt battery, I do not know if the PHEV does or if its integrated like the HEV.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The PHEV does have a 12v but it is supposed to be kept charged up automatically.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Maybe. The HEV does not have a 12 volt battery, I do not know if the PHEV does or if its integrated like the HEV.
The HEV has a lithium 12 volt battery, the PHEV and EV have a lead acid 12 volt battery. The HEV battery is not integrated into the traction battery, but it is attached on the side of it under the rear seat. Can be unbolted and replaced.
FlNiro likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The HEV has a lithium 12 volt battery, the PHEV and EV have a lead acid 12 volt battery. The HEV battery is not integrated into the traction battery, but it is attached on the side of it under the rear seat. Can be unbolted and replaced.
I've had the rear seat out several times and I've yet to find a 12v battery that can be removed on the HEV. Unless it's under the car.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 PM

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	j7ckeg.jpg.png
Views:	27
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	4913  

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

If the problem is indeed the 12V Li battery, at least it's covered under the KIA warranty still. OBTW, don't try to find it at your local Batteries Plus store.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

The OP has a PHEV, whose lead acid battery can indeed be found at Batteries Plus! It may be covered under the Kia warranty if the Kia has a fault that caused a failure. It may also be covered by the battery manufacturer as typically batteries are not covered by the car manufacturer. Kind of like a bulb going out, it is a maintenance item. The traction battery is specifically covered of course, as is the lithium 12 volt battery in the HEV.