Strange sounds when the car is cold in EV mode - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Strange sounds when the car is cold in EV mode

Hi,

I noticed when the car is not yet fully warmed up and I am driving very slowly in the EV mode I hear some strange sounds like from the gearbox (metallic sound (wrrrr)) also when I press the brake and the car comes to stop (that's not the sound to recover the energy).

Have you noticed such noise as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

It's like the sound of something breaking in the gearbox or sth like that (very metallic).
Actually, I hear all the time that when I press the brake and the car is completely stopped (then after a complete stop for a while I hear this metallic sound as if from a gearbox).

Last edited by CaMeL; 04-27-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMeL View Post
It's like the sound of something breaking in the gearbox or sth like that (very metallic).
Actually, I hear all the time that when I press the brake and the car is completely stopped (then after a complete stop for a while I hear this metallic sound as if from a gearbox).
Are you sure that's not the VSS (Vehicle Sound Simulator)? It's a speaker at the front of the car that makes a whirring / whining noise at low speeds to alert pedestrians that might not hear the car otherwise.

I sometimes hear a groan / grind when coming to a stop from low speed or just starting out but I think that's related to when the car engages the clutch when starting or stopping.

This car certainly makes some unique noises that can be disconcerting at first.

Hopefully that's all it is and not something more serious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	4947  

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:33 PM

I believe most of the clutch and gearbox noise are new to us because before, with a internal combustion engine, these noises where covered by the engine noise
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:22 PM

Sounds like the vacuum pump going. These types of cars need a vacuum pump(as do diesels for much the same reason) or they would have an otherwise unreliable source of vacuum.

Last edited by doro6529; 05-02-2019 at 11:26 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doro6529 View Post
Sounds like the vacuum pump going. These types of cars need a vacuum pump(as do diesels for much the same reason) or they would have an otherwise unreliable source of vacuum.
Can this noise occur when switching the gearbox to P position (with D or N) or when starting the EV engine while holding the brake pedal down?
Is it possible that vacuum pump generates such noise like "spinning wheel".
I only notice that noise in EV mode and above cases ;/

Last edited by CaMeL; 05-03-2019 at 05:56 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM

First, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, I wouldn't characterize the sound I hear as metallic but more like a gutteral, low pitched muffled RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for about approx a second. The vacuum pump must be driven by a dedicated electric motor since the engine is made to cut out.
Now of course any time we step on the brake we're using up vacuum from the reservoir. When we start the car or take it out of Park or just change from D to R or vice versa, we are using a substantial amount of vacuum. In these moments, I tend to step on the brake more deeply than, let's say, coming to a gentle stop. I hope this is what you are hearing.
I bought my 18 EX Premium at the end of January. I'm still learning it's little quirks, that I suddenly become aware of, here and there.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:04 AM

In your post you said spinning wheel. I hope you don't mean like burning rubber but just the rumbling of a tire rolling over the ground.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:30 AM

First, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, I wouldn't characterize the sound I hear as metallic but more like a gutteral, low pitched, muffled RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for about approx a second. Since the engine is made to cut out, the vacuum pump must be driven by a dedicated electric motor.
Now of course any time we step on the brake we're using up vacuum from the reservoir. When we start the car or take it out of Park or just change from D to R or vice versa, we are using a substantial amount of vacuum. During these moments, I tend to step on the brake more deeply than, let's say, coming to a gentle stop. I hope this is what you are hearing.
I bought my 18 EX Premium at the end of January. I'm still learning it's little quirks that I suddenly become aware of here and there.

I must add a disclaimer that although I'm a trained mechanic I'm not a Kia technician. These are assumptions based on 40 plus years of turning wrenches on cars, aircraft, boats etc.
I know I'm right until I find out I'm not and so then I just learned something new.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinion.

The situation is as follows - the engine is warmed up and running in EV mode:

- I turn the key and sometimes (I keep pressed the brake very deeply) hear the loud sound of the rotating wheel (under the hood), which after a few seconds stops and a metallic sound is heard at the end
- when I switch from N or D to P the same spinning wheel sound as above

Note:
This is what happens sometimes.

Do you have an idea what could occured such issue?

Last edited by CaMeL; 05-03-2019 at 03:36 PM.