Only charging to 24 miles sometimes - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Only charging to 24 miles sometimes

I can't figure out why my PHEV is only charging to 24 miles when plugged in overnight. It doesn't happen all the time, but is more than 1/2. The rest of the time it charges to 26 miles. Any ideas? Level 1 charger in standard outlet in garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:27 PM

Turn off your climate control button. When you start the car with ventilation switched on the car thinks you will be using power that otherwise would go to power the drive motor.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Turn off your climate control button. When you start the car with ventilation switched on the car thinks you will be using power that otherwise would go to power the drive motor.
Yep, that one gets me sometimes too. Seems sort of arbitrary to me. Maybe I just want the fan gently blowing on my feet, will that really cost me 2 miles?

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:44 PM

There is One more quirk regarding the ac/heater that should be noted,
If you turn off the car at the end of the day with the climate control on, let's say set @ 76 F to run the a.c., then
in the morning the engine Will start even whilst in ev mode. The car is now seeing a request for heat so the engine warms up until satisfying the call for heat, to 76F.
If you don't want to use any gas (who does?) then simply turn off the climate power button before you exit the car, or turn the temp control(s) to their lowest setting.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:46 PM

I regard it as a minor defect in the EV range estimation logic. Turn your climate off and after a full PHEV charge, your range is 26 miles. Turn the fan on low (one tick) and it immediately drops to 24. Turn the fan off and it goes back to 26. Now that I think about this, I have to wonder what would happen if I dialed in the climate temp to whatever temperature shows on the dashboard for ambient temp (meaning no heating or cooling required) and then dialed up the fan to full blast. My guess is that it would stay two miles less than the no-fan-power range, which would tend to prove that it's a software bug, because the fan running at full blast is surely pulling a lot more power than it is at low, but I haven't actually tried this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Nice to be able to come here to get a good answer.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
I regard it as a minor defect in the EV range estimation logic. Turn your climate off and after a full PHEV charge, your range is 26 miles. Turn the fan on low (one tick) and it immediately drops to 24. Turn the fan off and it goes back to 26. Now that I think about this, I have to wonder what would happen if I dialed in the climate temp to whatever temperature shows on the dashboard for ambient temp (meaning no heating or cooling required) and then dialed up the fan to full blast. My guess is that it would stay two miles less than the no-fan-power range, which would tend to prove that it's a software bug, because the fan running at full blast is surely pulling a lot more power than it is at low, but I haven't actually tried this.
As a sometime bit basher I wouldn't call it a bug as I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate choice to just make a simple estimate of the range impact. Sure, they could have spent weeks running tests to measure the current draw of every possible combination of climate control setting to generate a look up table with accurate range changes for each one. Perhaps they could have added current sensors to the climate control to measure the draw in real time and update the range accurately on the fly. Or they could have done some napkin math and said "Eh, the average range impact is 1.5 miles, round it up to 2 and ship it."

I know which solution I would pick.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Garage
FWIW, I drive the same route every morning, and every morning my car switches from EV to HEV mode at almost exactly the same place. And that place is almost exactly 26 miles from my house.

It really doesn't seem to matter much whether my climate control is on or not, I pretty much always get exactly 26 miles, give or take 1 mile. I've never gotten only 24 miles on a charge.

That said, I haven't used the AC much yet, and I expect that when I do have the AC on full-blast this summer, it'll drop the EV range by a couple miles, because the AC compressor is electric-powered.

I would bet that Kia noted that the AC reduces the range by 2 miles, and for simplicity they just applied that offset to the calculated range whenever any of the climate control (AC, or fan, or heater) is on, rather than only when the AC is on, which would be more accurate.

2018 PHEV
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:47 PM

More consistent electric range than Volt?

We're new to the Niro PHEV, so I can't speak to how much they are affected by climate control, outside temp, etc. But I have had my Volt for 2 1/2 years, and the estimated electric range on a full charge varies anywhere between 50-64 miles. I believe it is based on how efficient the most recent driving has been. In reality, I usually get anywhere between 46-68 miles (mostly dependent on outside temperature).

Is the Niro's electric range really that consistent? In any case, I always look at the estimated electric range as a guestimate.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerucla View Post
We're new to the Niro PHEV, so I can't speak to how much they are affected by climate control, outside temp, etc. But I have had my Volt for 2 1/2 years, and the estimated electric range on a full charge varies anywhere between 50-64 miles. I believe it is based on how efficient the most recent driving has been. In reality, I usually get anywhere between 46-68 miles (mostly dependent on outside temperature).

Is the Niro's electric range really that consistent? In any case, I always look at the estimated electric range as a guestimate.
I'd say the actual range is within a mile or two most of time time. I've gotten as much as 28 and as few as 23 depending on weather and road conditions.

Jim
Southern Maryland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page