Plug-In Hybrid System Failure Engine Running in Emergency Mode - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Plug-In Hybrid System Failure Engine Running in Emergency Mode

I have 2019 Plug-In Hybrid Kia Niro EX with 4,500 miles and is 3 months old. The first symptoms were 4 warning lights including the check engine light flashing, the hybrid system failure, a flashing EV light and a flashing small car light near the EV light.

Starting April 17 now in it's 2 week mark still at the dealer with one brief return to me there originally was a loose wiring harness connection that hadn't been clicked in properly. I had the car for less than 20 minutes and had to return it to the dealer. But now, they think the electric fuel pump needs to be replaced. The same lights re-appeared. The worse of it the dealer is being told the part won't be shipped until May 20. And frankly I don't know if they'll have actually fixed the vehicle.

I've contacted the Kia Consumer Assistance to ask for expediting help as this is not acceptable in my opinion. I'm awaiting a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:19 PM

It sounds like the car was still drivable? If so, this would be an improvement over the experience some others have reported when there was a hybrid system failure. Was there a message that actually said "Emergency Mode"? I don't recall hearing about anyone else needing to replace a fuel pump (yet).

Did they give you a loaner while your car is in the shop?

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Yes the car is still drivable but at best it runs in emergency mode, the small car light next to the EV light starts flashing that indicates emergency mode. It was the electric water pump. There was none to be found and finally they had to tear apart a new car in inventory in stock to get the part needed, as the part was not available in the U.S. It was in a container on the way from Korea, and no other parts seemed to be available. This was a very frustrating experience from Kia Consumer Assistance, they were no help at all. It was only my dealer when I went to see the owner, that suggested the idea of getting the part out of a new car they had in stock. Bravo to the dealer. In face I think the Kia Consumer Assistance only did one thing, and that was send me information to file a complaint regarding the possibility of using the lemon law in California as it would have taken effect if we had waited for the part to come from Korea.

The car now has about 10 days of driving with the replaced electric water pump without incident.
Dovidan likes this.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM
TK6

Glad to hear it sounds like it is fixed! (Knock on wood.) I hope the dealer at least supplied you with a nice loaner car?

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
Silver with black interior
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:46 PM

I have the same issues as Lake Sonoma Guy. Our 3 month old 2019 Niro PHEV also needs an electric water pump. It is also backordered and they have no idea when it will be available. I spoke to KIA customer service and they said it could take anywhere from 3 days to 6 months. Yes, MONTHS.

I have some serious buyer's remorse right now.

I really loved this car but if a critical part is going to fail at 3 months (under 2000 miles) and the manufacturer doesn't have parts available, there's no point to buying this car. So disappointing.

The service department said that the car was not safe to drive and gave us a loaner.

Last edited by Lucy; 06-13-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added extra info
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:45 PM

I'd think Kia would steal a water pump off the assembly line and air ship it to you rather than loan you a car for 6 months.
Johnxyz likes this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I'd think Kia would steal a water pump off the assembly line and air ship it to you rather than loan you a car for 6 months.

I think your thinking that they have an assembly line running all the time to make these cars. Likely they have a modular line and they make them in batches, so 2-3 times in a year there will be a run of 10,000 vehicles then the line is changed over to run a different model that might be made on a simular fame setup. So parts might not be availible for a vehicle until the next production run.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Regarding the lack of parts....
CAREFULLY peel off the KIA emblem (trunk or hood). Does it have the T(esla) logo under it?
I bought the Niro PHEV to use for the long stretches the Tesla is in the shop. Stupid me.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I have the same issues as Lake Sonoma Guy. Our 3 month old 2019 Niro PHEV also needs an electric water pump. It is also backordered and they have no idea when it will be available. I spoke to KIA customer service and they said it could take anywhere from 3 days to 6 months. Yes, MONTHS.

I have some serious buyer's remorse right now.

I really loved this car but if a critical part is going to fail at 3 months (under 2000 miles) and the manufacturer doesn't have parts available, there's no point to buying this car. So disappointing.

The service department said that the car was not safe to drive and gave us a loaner.
Update:
Got my car back from the shop today. Exactly 3 weeks since it went in.
Seems to work fine so far...

I hope that it's not going to be like this for every repair.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Don't know where you live but look into your lemon law in your state. It helped me get the part here faster, they indeed took the water pump out of another new stock car since the car time in the shop would have exceeded 30 days, which in California, is the legal limit.