Helicopter Sound at low speeds\going uphill. - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to dlance26
Post Helicopter Sound at low speeds\going uphill.

Hi everyone,

I currently have Kia Niro 2018 EX with almost 8K miles within 10 months.

I have mostly used the car for ride sharing and pleasure. I have started to notice a strange helicopter -like sound produced only when driving between 20- 40 miles per hour I can also feel a slight pulse where the gas and brake pedal are located, all of this while this sound is taking place. I believe it all started when I ran over a pothole going uphill, once I noticed the inevitable, I tried to slow down, but when I tried to do that, the car shook in a very aggressive manner and ever since that happened the sound started to be produced.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any light towards this post will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
dlance26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 PM

I have not had this experience, but it sounds like something was damaged when you hit that pothole. If this was going on with my car, I would try to find a mechanic who could look at it tomorrow, if not sooner, because your description leaves me wondering if something in your steering linkage might be on the verge of failing in a way that might be hazardous to you and anyone else sharing the road with you at the moment in fails.

If you have the option of Kia Roadside assistance, I think you'd be smart to take advantage of that, rather than risk the chance of a failure while driving it in for service. If you don't have that option, you might still want to consider getting it towed, rather than driving it in.

There's always the chance that the noise is caused by something silly, perhaps a piece of skirting hanging down from under your car that has nothing to do with the steering or reliability, but without knowing for sure, I think you should consider this to be a potentially hazardous condition and deal with it accordingly. Sorry.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 AM

I have experienced anything like that...if it were me I would take it to the dealer to have them look at it. Why take a chance?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page