2017 Issues - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheSilverFlash

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

2017 Issues

OK I have to say I did love this car now it is a 3800 lb paper weight. I have been having issues with misfires caused by the EGR valve it is causing a lean out misfire on 3 different cyls at any given time. Has any one else had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJ727 View Post
OK I have to say I did love this car now it is a 3800 lb paper weight. I have been having issues with misfires caused by the EGR valve it is causing a lean out misfire on 3 different cyls at any given time. Has any one else had this issue?

I think my 2017 (24k miles) is starting to do something similar... intermittent misfire but not setting any codes. I did get to see couple of random misfire counts on #1 (literally 2) using a scanner while it was acting up but nothing consistent enough.

The Kia dealer won't do anything until it actually sets a code because it's so intermittent. When I had time to drop it off with them for 2 days to do all the recalls they claim they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

It seems to do it mostly when it's about half-way warmed up during light acceleration but it's very noticeable when it happens. Throwing a bottle of Techron seemed to fix it for a month or so but now it's starting to do it again. I'm torn between using another bottle or letting it get bad enough to finally flag a code, then fighting with Kia over the repairs.

I think there is a defect in the EGR valve design that lets the injectors get too dirty causing this issue. I saw a post a while back referring to this but I am unable to find any literature backing that up. I'm kind of waiting for an official TSB to get posted so I have something to give to the dealer when it starts to get worse.

With that being said, my wife barely notices it (however me being an auto tech it drives me bonkers when it acts up while I'm driving the car!), and we're still getting 48-50MPG in it.. not bad for a Touring model in mixed driving conditions!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 PM

Wonder how does the Misfire show up (back fire noise or just a rough engine).

I ask cause of the problems people have and I have had (not bad enough for me to be concerned). with a rough jerky shift, surging, or something (don't know what to call it). All I can say is there are a lot of posts about that situation and the guy that started it had a car so bad they finally gave him a new one.

So far at 25,850 miles -- no misfires on my 2017 bought in Feb 2017.

PS: I assume a misfire would be a different feeling (like I had on my 2005 Dodge Van with near 100,000 moles (#3 cyl - it thru a code). I replaced wiring and spark plugs (fixed that).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:49 PM

What y’all are describing is exactly the same thing that my Niro does when it is warming up. It only happens when the engine temp is between 150 and 170 degrees or so. It is easy for me to duplicate the problem so at my next oil change I’ll have a technician ride with me so they can see it for themselves.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechdork View Post
I think my 2017 (24k miles) is starting to do something similar... intermittent misfire but not setting any codes. I did get to see couple of random misfire counts on #1 (literally 2) using a scanner while it was acting up but nothing consistent enough.

The Kia dealer won't do anything until it actually sets a code because it's so intermittent. When I had time to drop it off with them for 2 days to do all the recalls they claim they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

It seems to do it mostly when it's about half-way warmed up during light acceleration but it's very noticeable when it happens. Throwing a bottle of Techron seemed to fix it for a month or so but now it's starting to do it again. I'm torn between using another bottle or letting it get bad enough to finally flag a code, then fighting with Kia over the repairs.

I think there is a defect in the EGR valve design that lets the injectors get too dirty causing this issue. I saw a post a while back referring to this but I am unable to find any literature backing that up. I'm kind of waiting for an official TSB to get posted so I have something to give to the dealer when it starts to get worse.

With that being said, my wife barely notices it (however me being an auto tech it drives me bonkers when it acts up while I'm driving the car!), and we're still getting 48-50MPG in it.. not bad for a Touring model in mixed driving conditions!
no the egr valve is allowing too much air in the chamber causing a lean misfire. they don't have a fix and I don't qualify for a buy back because I moved from ny to fl. I have a lawyer so we will see where this goes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

and by the way folks the check engine light will not come on till the misfire count hits 100 mine has never had a code come up EVER
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Any updates?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

If this relates I had a 2009 Hyundai Accent, also with a 1.6L ICE, although not the Miller cycle engine, but probably similar in lots of ways. I bought it used, and noticed the Original owner had brought it in for mis-fire/rough driving at ~11k mi. It had check-eng. light. It had code of random-misfire. They replaced the/a spark plug wire and rebooted. About 10k miles later I had same problems, like a slight ping occasionally. They replaced all spark wires. I would still get it intermittenly, the worst being when it felt like I was driving over mini railroad tracks. Brought it in and they rebooted. After awhile, when it happened I noticed the codes were never the same. Always random-misfire, but would call it cyl.#1, cyl.2&3, 1&4 etc. After warranty I even replaced plugs myself and no change. Rebooting ECM worked for short time, then back to problem and ce light.

I noticed when I was in Hyundai dealer they had their own branded engine additive, but it was Chevron Techron(same shape and cardboard label. I bought the Chevron additive, waited till low fuel, then added. It worked for awhile. Then I added again, but STOPPED using the **** non-Top Tier WaWa gas (Sheets too.) I never got the problem again in 10's of k's of miles. This is the same additive Kia calls for. Even though I never use non Top Tier gas now, I put in a bottle ~every other oil change. I've felt a little ping/hesitation here and there, usually when I'm letting off the pedal a bit. How much of that is elec motor to ICE conversion, or o hybrid related I don't know. I've never had a check engine light and still get 52+ MPG. For what it's worth..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 12:56 PM

Yeah, I wonder how many of these misfire problems could be related to using non top-tier gas. The Niro manual specifically recommends the use of top-tier gas and I suspect not many people realize the large grocery store bargain chains do not sell top-tier.

If it isn't on the list, AVOID!

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
realto likes this.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 08:31 PM

Yes, definitely do not use anything but Top-Tier gas, a sticker saying so will be on the pump. I forgot to add, with the Hyundai the check engine light would go off for awhile, but when it came on it would stay on even when the car was driving normally, which was most of the time. When I would check the code then clear it with an OBDII tool, the light would come back on shortly but list a different random missfire cyl. This is what told me it wasn't mechanical, in the spark plug wire(there's a small electronic element in the spark plug wire head that generates the timed spark pulse)- or software, since a reboot of the ECM only worked for a short time. It was crap fuel leaving deposits on the cyllinders and throwing it off. Only fixed by cleaning it with the Chevron Fuel system cleaner several times and using good gas.

Last edited by realto; Today at 08:33 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page