Alarm is going off in garage - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Alarm is going off in garage

In the last two days our 2018 Kia Niro EV's alarm has gone off in the garage about 5 times. The garage door was open at least some of the times but there are no wild animals in this neighborhood and the only thing I can imagine going on is a car driving on the street outside, which is not close. It has happened before but I've forgotten the details, and not multiple times within a short period of time.

I would like to disable it, but it's not clear if you can disable it permanently. There are words about disarming it, but it talks about rearming. We do not need it in the area we live in... I get very grouchy when car alarms go off, and it's embarrassing in for example a parking lot (yes, it's done that too).

So does anyone know why this might be happening or if it can be disabled?

It has other strange brain farts -- like door lock issues that are not consistent (like sometimes the back door is locked when I try to get the groceries out but only occasionally, or the car is locked in the garage and we never lock the car in the garage, and similar).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've set mine off once or twice with the fob in m pocket and moved just right to press the panic button. That's my only thought.
TK6 likes this.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

It just went off again. Only like 15 minutes from the last time. I realized the sunroof was tilted. Is it not allowed to leave a Niro with the sunroof open? This is Texas and the main reason for one is to be able to leave the sunroof tilted for ventilation when you are NOT in the car... I did that a lot with my Audi.

I see a post from someone complaining about the alarm going off if windows are open in another Kia. They talk about a way to disable that but I don't see anything in the Niro.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 PM
TK6

If a key-fob is in anyone's pocket when the alarm goes off, that would be my first guess. It would happen to me (with our Kia Sportage) while wearing jeans and having the fob along with a couple other things in my pocket. Usually when I was bending over to do something, the panic button would be depressed and there goes the alarm.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
Silver with black interior
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:42 PM

If it is going off when the car is unlocked in your garage, it can only be the panic button causing it.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

No one was near the car any of the times it went off. My key is in my purse. Although my husband's key is in his pocket he was not near the car and why would it suddenly be happening over and over suddenly. It must be the sunroof. Which is useless if we can't use it except when we are driving...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 PM

The panic button is wireless. Range 30 to 50 feet. I've set mine off accidentally in my house 20 feet away. I've blocked the button now so it won't happen again. That is the only way the alarm in my car has gone off in 15 months of ownership.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's the window. Not a peep from it since I closed the sunroof. Now that I think of it, the time it went off in a parking lot I had tilted the sunroof to keep the car cooler. Now I need to learn how to disable the alarm altogether, but I don't know if that is possible. I guess I have to deal with the dealer...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
Could be the window I suppose, but my Niro's alarm used to go off almost daily for no reason. At work, in parking lots, in my garage, everywhere. I really thought for the longest time that the sensors were too sensitive or something.

Then one day I decided to remove all my unnecessary keys from my keychain. Alarm stopped going off all the time.

The button on the keyfob are really sensitive. I'd look into either removing spare keys and other junk from your your pocket, or making a habit of taking your keys out of your pocket when you get home, or getting a keyfob cover from eBay.

If that doesn't solve the problem, maybe your dealer can find out which sensor is tripping the alarm, and try replacing it. Could be a defective sensor.... but more likely, it's your keyfob.
TK6 likes this.

2018 PHEV
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM
TK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post

The button on the keyfob are really sensitive. I'd look into either removing spare keys and other junk from your your pocket, or making a habit of taking your keys out of your pocket when you get home, or getting a keyfob cover from eBay.

I agree with the above. Sure, there could be something wrong with the car, but it is more likely the panic button is being depressed. I would do an experiment: park the car in the garage like usual, even leave the sunroof open and put both key fobs on the counter or somewhere safe and not in a pocket and see if the alarm goes off.

I assume you are not locking the car when it is parked in your garage? If it isn't locked, the alarm is not active, so the only reason it should go off is if the panic button is depressed on a key fob.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
Silver with black interior

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page