Kia infotainment system screen and CarPlay - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Angry Kia infotainment system screen and CarPlay

Hi. I have a 2019 Kia Niro PHEV that I bought in December 2018. The display screen has periodically gone black and as many people have mentioned, I had to pull over and turn the car off and back on again and the screen came back on again. (But what a pain for a new car, especially traveling down the interstate.)

Now I have two more problems. The actual screen itself seems to be "slipping" down. There is a black sealing strip along the top and the top left hand side of it is slipping, so that I have a black band across the top of the screen. Now Carplay has also stopped working. It connects when I plug in the USB to my iPhone but after about 5 seconds it disconnects. Unplug the phone and plug it back in. Same thing.

I took it in to the dealership and they're ordering a whole new unit. But I'm wondering, since so many people are having glitches with their screens going black, if this is something that is going to go on. The warranty covers 36k I think, but after that, will I have to replace the whole thing? And how much would that cost? I have an extended warranty that the dealership talked me into but I'm thinking this wouldn't be covered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
While my car is only a month old, I see none of these issues. CarPlay works first time every time I connect the phone, which is more than I can say about my previous Subaru Outback. But if it is a problem down the line, at least I'm completely under warranty during me entire lease period.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Depends on what extended warranty you bought? Hard to say without reading it. Go back to who you bought the extended warranty from and ask him point blank if it's covered and for how long. Also the service manager should know what extended warranty you have probably better to ask the service manager actually.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 AM

are you saying there are places where kia does no guarantee its cars 7 years? I honnestly thought it was worldwide .

to the O.P. your infotainment system is obviously faulty, not normal on a car a few months old, it should be covered as long as the car is under waranty, and after that the replacement if it is a design fault should still be covered until the problem is solved...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:24 AM

Every market has a different warranty. I assume for competitive reasons (new automakers with bad cars originally trying to break into a big market) that Hyundai and Kia have their apparently best warranties in the US.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Every market has a different warranty. I assume for competitive reasons (new automakers with bad cars originally trying to break into a big market) that Hyundai and Kia have their apparently best warranties in the US.

7 years here in spain and france
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I'm having the exact same problem!! I bought my 2019 Kia Niro plug in in late December 2018 also. The screen periodically goes black but comes back on when I turn the engine off and on again. The the screen started slipping just as you describe with the little black gasket showing. Now CarPlay disconnects so I can only use bluetooth and the radio. The dealership has also ordered a new unit for me but said its backlogged so they don't know when it will come in.

Meanwhile, my check engine light has come on twice now so it's going back in the shop. This is my first Kia having been a long time Toyota owner. Starting to have second thoughts.....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I think if the infotainment is a faulty design, it should be replaced even after the warranty period, especially since so many others are having the same black screen problem.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Infotainment

I paid for an extended warranty on all electrical components on this vehicle through my dealership. I can guarantee that this head unit will go out before the 10 year warranty. Most computers I work on barely last 2-3 years. I had an old IBM think-pad and it lasted over 5 years...it just became obsolete at some point. Electronic components will give out...it's just a matter of when.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:01 PM

I had a Prius with a multi function display that had no problems after 150,000 and 12 years. Also a Sienna that is now 15 years old with the original radio/entertainments systems with no problems.
I bet the Kia Niro can match that. It seems like a very well built vehicle with quality parts throughout. Maybe OP has a faulty unit - which happens sometimes on electric components and it will be covered by the manufactures warranty.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page