Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Squeaking sounds at power on

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  deltasmith 
#1 ·
My Niro PHEV has always been rather "musical", in oh so many ways. But occasionally I hear a squeaking sound at power on coming from somewhere under the hood, that sounds a bit questionable. I think I first heard this within the first few weeks that I owned the car, but it didn't happen often and I didn't worry about it. Lately it seems like it's been happening much more frequently, and perhaps it's also a bit louder.

The attached zip file includes a 32 second audio recording. The squeaking sound happens between about 13 and 16 seconds into the recording. There are some additional relay clicking sounds after that time, which probably correspond with me powering off the car after I had recorded the squeaking sound.

Just curious to know if anyone else has been hearing something like this, or has any thoughts on what might be the cause of it and if I should be concerned about it.

This recording is only an approximation of what I usually hear from the driver's seat. It usually seems louder and squeakier from the driver's seat, compared to what I hear when I play back this recording on my PC. Not sure if my cell phone's recording feature just lacks the tonal range, or if having the phone under the hood and the hood up when I captured the recording made a difference. But anyway, it's a half-way reasonable approximation.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, the sound on your recording between 11 and 12 seconds is similar to the sound I'm hearing. The thing is: I drive almost exclusively in EV mode, so the ICE is always cold when I hear this. However, I will be going for an extended drive in the next few days and I'll try to pay attention to see if ICE warm/cold makes any difference.

#4 ·
Good day. Im almost always hearing a clicking sound on my 2019 Kia niro. Aometime somewhere under the hood, sometimes at the back seat. Sometimes under the drivers seat. Sometimes its sounding like a pebble shot up under the chasis. Have you asked about the clicking sound that your car have?
My Niro PHEV has always been rather "musical", in oh so many ways. But occasionally I hear a squeaking sound at power on coming from somewhere under the hood, that sounds a bit questionable. I think I first heard this within the first few weeks that I owned the car, but it didn't happen often and I didn't worry about it. Lately it seems like it's been happening much more frequently, and perhaps it's also a bit louder.

The attached zip file includes a 32 second audio recording. The squeaking sound happens between about 13 and 16 seconds into the recording. There are some additional relay clicking sounds after that time, which probably correspond with me powering off the car after I had recorded the squeaking sound.

Just curious to know if anyone else has been hearing something like this, or has any thoughts on what might be the cause of it and if I should be concerned about it.

This recording is only an approximation of what I usually hear from the driver's seat. It usually seems louder and squeakier from the driver's seat, compared to what I hear when I play back this recording on my PC. Not sure if my cell phone's recording feature just lacks the tonal range, or if having the phone under the hood and the hood up when I captured the recording made a difference. But anyway, it's a half-way reasonable approximation.

#5 ·
I only hear clicking under the hood, usually at startup time or charging time. I can't think of anything I've heard that I would describe as a "pebble shot up through the chasis". There is a power relay under the back seat, but I can't recall having heard it clicking. I am still hearing the squeaking noises and I might ask the garage to evaluate that the next time I visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.