Creaking and clunking noise Fixed - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grayniro
  • 1 Post By Dovidan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Creaking and clunking noise Fixed

After complaining twice since purchasing my Niro EX in September/October 2018. I finally got them to find the source and fix it. Front lower control arms worn and cracked. Replaced under warranty even though I do have the 120K extended warranty. I see polyurethane inserts in my future, if it wears early again. So if your Niro creaks like an old stagecoach as weight shifts or suspension loads and unloads. This could be your culprit too.
Dovidan likes this.

Last edited by Grayniro; 07-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
How many miles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the post GreyNiro, seems like you may be the 1st to experience this issue.

You mention possible polyurethane inserts (do you mean bushings?) in your future -- were your control arms worn and cracked or just your OEM bushings?

Your car looks great with the aftermarket wheels & low profile tires (40 series?) -- also looks like it may have a some suspension mods (springs...?).

Not to cast blame but while such mods can look great for sure, I can't help but wonder if those mods might have contributed to the early control arms failure. I know a number of guys who have raised altered their 4 x 4s suspension and they go through suspension parts pretty rapidly.

Honestly, assuming you have significantly altered the tire size & suspension I'm surprised that Kia is honoring your warranty. Did they challenge you on the aftermarket parts?
Thanks!
Johnxyz likes this.

Last edited by Dovidan; 07-15-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidan View Post
Thanks for the post GreyNiro, seems like you may be the 1st to experience this issue.

You mention possible polyurethane inserts (do you mean bushings?) in your future -- were your control arms worn and cracked or just your OEM bushings?

Your car looks great with the aftermarket wheels & low profile tires (40 series?) -- also looks like it may have a some suspension mods (springs...?).

Not to cast blame but while such mods can look great for sure, I can't help but wonder if those mods might have contributed to the early control arms failure. I know a number of guys who have raised altered their 4 x 4s suspension and they go through suspension parts pretty rapidly.

Honestly, assuming you have significantly altered the tire size & suspension I'm surprised that Kia is honoring your warranty. Did they challenge you on the aftermarket parts?
Thanks!
All good questions, I'm curious as well, hopefully OP will come back and update us.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Dovidan, thank you for mentioning about the OP modifying his suspension and tires! The OP made no mention of this. Of course he is going to have abnormal wear on his suspension as well as other situations due to modifying the car. The information you provided is probably the most important piece in the whole thread.

Without the info you provided the implication is that others will have suspension problems after 100,000 miles and the dealer would be reluctant to fix it which isn't the case at all.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Yep, suspension mods almost always mean trouble. Can't understand why Kia would even honor the warranty. Let's hope this isn't a one-post wonder, although that would explain alot.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 PM

My 2018 EX made a clunk at the rear from new when the suspension was loading while turning (eg. the transition from my sloped driveway to the street). While unable to reproduce, my Kia dealer assured me it was safe. At around 6,000 miles it slowly turned into a creaking and has progressively got worse and worse creaking but no more clunk! I am now at 17,000 miles.

Every time I go to the Kia dealer for an oil change I ask them to look at it and every time they say 'cannot reproduce'. Next time I go I'm going to push harder to have the tech ride with me so I can reproduce for them. Anyway this sounds familiar to your issue. My car is completely stock, no mods at all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page