Remote Climate on PHEV Halts L1 Charging - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Remote Climate on PHEV Halts L1 Charging

Has anyone noticed that activating remote climate while charging on the L1 EVSE halts charging and it will not resume charging unless you remote reactivate charging after the 10 minute remote climate session?

I haven't tested this behavior on L2 yet. I plan on it tonight at a local public charger.

Another annoying thing (possibly related)...if you want to sit in the car while it charges and run the A/C, forget it, it only blows warm air. It is like the Niro can't run the A/C compressor while charging or some reason? I have owned a Leaf and Volt in the past and both of them could run the A/C while the car was charging. I have a buddy with a Bolt and he can run the A/C while charging as well. Also in the Volt and Bolt, if you activate remote climate, they will continue to charge while the remote climate session is active.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheSilverFlash; 07-23-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I believe I've had my A/C work while L2 charging. I'd have to try it again to be sure. I can understand them disabling it during L1 charging, since you've charging so slowly running the A/C at the same time likely doubles the charge time. That's just a wag on my part, I have no idea what the actual A/C draw is.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I believe I've had my A/C work while L2 charging. I'd have to try it again to be sure. I can understand them disabling it during L1 charging, since you've charging so slowly running the A/C at the same time likely doubles the charge time. That's just a wag on my part, I have no idea what the actual A/C draw is.
I've measured the a.c. draw as 400 to 1500 W.

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I've measured the a.c. draw as 400 to 1500 W.
That would certainly use a significant amount of the charging current. It would take forever to fully charge on L1 if the A/C was running.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page