18 inch Tires ever so slightly out of Balance - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

18 inch Tires ever so slightly out of Balance

We rarely drove on the highway for the first month or so of ownership and the vibration was so subtle that it was hard to be sure that there even was a problem. When we did take the car over 50mph for a more extended period we realized that indeed it was a slight vibration, like a subtle low energy hum, a washer with an ever so slightly out of balance spin cycle. I thought lumpy tires that had been sitting on the dealer floor for months without moving might be the cause. Then I asked myself what if I had to spend a whole day driving like that, no I'm taking it to the dealer. I took it for a ride with a tech in the car and he said, "oh yeah, I feel it, probably out of balance tires". I did notice that one of the wheels had an absolute ton of balance weights on one side and the tech said he took that tire off the rim spun it 180 on the rim and rebalanced. Viola, problem gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 PM

Sounds like you got a good dealer.

Gene Daytona Beach Beach, Fl.
2018 Kia Niro LX 7/11/18-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Liberty Kia Ramsey, NJ Knock on wood.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Garage
Kia will also cover a 4-wheel alignment within 12 months/12k miles so take advantage of that if you are still within that period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 AM

I just replaced my 18" tires because the rears were worn badly on the insides. Not only were they worn, but they were cupped indicating an out of balance issue. Thing is, both tires had the exact same wear pattern on them, so doubtful that it would be an out of balance TIRE issue. I think the shocks on the Niros with larger (and heavier) wheel/tire combo are not up to the task.

I am currently looking for a good set of replacement shocks...no luck so far. The stock versions cost $138 each, which is criminal.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
I just replaced my 18" tires because the rears were worn badly on the insides. Not only were they worn, but they were cupped indicating an out of balance issue. Thing is, both tires had the exact same wear pattern on them, so doubtful that it would be an out of balance TIRE issue. I think the shocks on the Niros with larger (and heavier) wheel/tire combo are not up to the task.

I am currently looking for a good set of replacement shocks...no luck so far. The stock versions cost $138 each, which is criminal.
Bad alignment could cause cupping on the rear tires as well.

If alignment is good, then yes, I would point finger at suspension. If a suspension component has failed, it should be covered under the Kia 5yr/60k mile basic (bumper-to-bumper) warranty.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Photos of tires.

Pic of both tires and a close up of one, both exact same pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	821.5 KB
ID:	5299   Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	5301  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yep, that's alignment.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow, that is horrible toe out I'd guess and excessive negative camber as well. Do you often drive with a loaded vehicle and how many miles is that on the tires? I've seen this issue posted on the forums before and I noticed my rear tires cambered a bit more than I think would be necessary, however, our car is empty except for the trips for groceries. 4000mi and they look normal so far, knock on wood.
Looks like Kia wants the factory to just about push them out the door and let the dealers worry about the rest.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:12 PM

40000 miles and no, I dive by myself nearly 100 miles a day for my commute.

I do load it up occasionally, but not that much, can't say I've ever gone over its max. load rating.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page