Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

18 inch Tires ever so slightly out of Balance

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mechdork 
#1 ·
We rarely drove on the highway for the first month or so of ownership and the vibration was so subtle that it was hard to be sure that there even was a problem. When we did take the car over 50mph for a more extended period we realized that indeed it was a slight vibration, like a subtle low energy hum, a washer with an ever so slightly out of balance spin cycle. I thought lumpy tires that had been sitting on the dealer floor for months without moving might be the cause. Then I asked myself what if I had to spend a whole day driving like that, no I'm taking it to the dealer. I took it for a ride with a tech in the car and he said, "oh yeah, I feel it, probably out of balance tires". I did notice that one of the wheels had an absolute ton of balance weights on one side and the tech said he took that tire off the rim spun it 180° on the rim and rebalanced. Viola, problem gone.

#5 ·
I just replaced my 18" tires because the rears were worn badly on the insides. Not only were they worn, but they were cupped indicating an out of balance issue. Thing is, both tires had the exact same wear pattern on them, so doubtful that it would be an out of balance TIRE issue. I think the shocks on the Niros with larger (and heavier) wheel/tire combo are not up to the task.

I am currently looking for a good set of replacement shocks...no luck so far. The stock versions cost $138 each, which is criminal.

#9 ·
Wow, that is horrible toe out I'd guess and excessive negative camber as well. Do you often drive with a loaded vehicle and how many miles is that on the tires? I've seen this issue posted on the forums before and I noticed my rear tires cambered a bit more than I think would be necessary, however, our car is empty except for the trips for groceries. 4000mi and they look normal so far, knock on wood.
Looks like Kia wants the factory to just about push them out the door and let the dealers worry about the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.