2017 Balking between 35-45 - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

2017 Balking between 35-45

I've seen posts guessing at transmission problems, shifting problems, and "skippping/misfiring". Ever since I bought my 2017 Niro Touring, it balks/hesitates accelerating cruising between 35-45MPH. It's almost like it is confused between between gears. Can't tell if it is skipping or misfiring, but feels like it is any of the above. Subtle, but there, and annoying. Dealer says they are all the same. Really? I'm at 45K and very much afraid they are just running out the warranty on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:52 PM

Never experienced it. But I'm only at 24K. If it is subtle, you are not likely to get a warranty fix. But there could be something wrong with your DCT. It is covered until 100K so if the issue progresses to the point of being a real problem, you should be made whole.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Garage
Have you replaced the engine clutch actuator fluid? Also, do you run top tier gas in it? I've seen some reports of owners replacing that fluid and it helping with the hesitation/jerkiness. I've also seen some reports of a fuel system cleaning greatly improving the hesitation/jerkiness issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

The clutch fluid is only for the hydraulic clutch that brings the engine in or out of the drivetrain. It is the DCT or its programming that is malfunctioning: electrically actuated dry clutches.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 05:10 PM

Mine does it too.. it has a bit of a misfire under slight load at about 30-40mph. Seems to clear up once the engine is warmed up and doesn't seem to affect fuel mileage (my 17 touring still gets 51-52MPG in mixed driving conditions).

Dealer won't do anything unless it sets a check engine light. Maybe they might if I took it back over and over again and kept complaining but I don't have time for that mess. I'm kind of waiting for it to get worse.

Funny thing is it seems to get really bad for a couple of weeks then doesn't do it at all for a few more. Very frustrating. I was reading about EGR calibration issues on these maybe they'll come out with a software fix one of these days.

I'm pretty much waiting for a TSB to come out on it, or for the problem to get worse before addressing it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page