Electrical malfunction - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheSilverFlash
  • 1 Post By deltasmith

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Electrical malfunction

I have a 2019 Niro PHEV. I love it, but a recent glitch was quite concerning. I was climbing a mountain pass under quite high temperature. The ICE was unable to charge the battery while we were climbing. The AC stopped working. Once we reached our destination and turned off the car, I was unable to re-start it. I was pushed to a charging point, and once the car was re-charged, it functioned normally. If I had stopped before reaching my destination, I would have needed towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Location: Knoxville, TN (soon to be Elizabethton, TN) work in Asheville, NC
Garage
Must've been some mountain pass. I live in the relatively tame appalachians and I've never experienced this before.
Lee Williams likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Paul
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium Silky Silver
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Soul Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a 2019 Niro PHEV. I love it, but a recent glitch was quite concerning. I was climbing a mountain pass under quite high temperature. The ICE was unable to charge the battery while we were climbing. The AC stopped working. Once we reached our destination and turned off the car, I was unable to re-start it. I was pushed to a charging point, and once the car was re-charged, it functioned normally. If I had stopped before reaching my destination, I would have needed towing.

That is concerning. Was there any other indication of a problem aside from the AC stopping? (Any alerts on the dashboard?)
Lee Williams likes this.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Normally the ICE does not charge the battery going up a hill as the battery is adding torque via the motor (discharging). Long hills are almost the only scenario where my SOC gets low. I wonder if your battery overheated? No codes thrown?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

How high and how hot?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page