Cruise control "resume" weirdness (?) - Kia Niro Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Cruise control "resume" weirdness (?)

Hi there - new guy here. I've just picked up a LX package Niro - have had it for five days now.

Two things: approaching first fill up need - just regular plain old (el cheapo!) gas or is a higher octane medium grade recommended?

The one that really kind of bugs me is the cruise control - I use it often - I have a long commute back & forth for work and drive on roads that are conducive to its use. ( not really hilly, and where there are hills I know to disengage it and manually ease up/down on the throttle to get over them ) The cruise has two modes on it on the steering wheel - "set" and "resume". Resume doesn't actually seem to resume though .... ;( It's more like a redundant "set".

I'm a computer nerd by day ( I work in I.T.) and as such have an aversion to reading manuals ... ( industry joke ). With that in mind - no I have not looked at the owners manual so it is entirely possible that I'm missing something BUT - I would think that if I'm cruising at 59 and I disengage the cruise for some reason, that when I hit the "res" (resume) button that it *should* take me back up to 59. No ... it just "sets" me at whatever speed I was doing when I hit the resume button. ( 50 for instance .... )

{sigh}

This is not an end of life as we know it deal of course ... lol -- BUT -- am I missing something or is my cruise control / button not quite right?

Thanks ... !
KeriD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:49 PM

Pages 6-49 and 6-50 answer the question I think. At least they way what the system should do, but can't say you are doing what it says when you are trying to resume. 30+ years in IT myself, we had a term KBUE for keyboard user error as it was often relevant to this kind of glitch

Can't cut and paste but maybe the system parameters when linked to your driving explain the behavior.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

The acronym we might use is more like RTFM. lol!

Thanks for your input - I'll take a look at the "FM" then on the referenced pages.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Oh geez. How do you know when you've spent too much of your life job hunting? When you read the word "resume"(definition: to continue from a paused state) as "resume" (definition: document needed while job hunting to explain job history and skills). LOL! That said, I don't yet have access to the "FM"...so is it regular or medium grade fuel? Thanks!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:27 PM

Fuel is regular 87. The resume button on the smart cruise control will resume the previous speed as long as you haven't turned off the cruise control. Example, you have it set at 65, you tap on the brakes which disengages the cruise control, you're now traveling 50 and hit resume, it will take you up to the previous speed of 65. You have to be going over 20 to resume. The benefit is you don't have to set speed and click up to set it from the current speed to the desired speed it will you resume to your last desired speed as long as the cruise control has not been turned off.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to KeriD
I am in the market for the same, LX pretty soon. How are you liking it so far?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to lccobb
Res/Set works as it should. Set it for 55 and if you brake and slow down and then hit Res it will speed up to 55. If your does not work that way there is a problem or my Technology Package is different than yours.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to lccobb
Res/Set as it should be.

Res/Set works as it should. Set it for 55 and if you brake and slow down and then hit Res it will speed up to 55. If your does not work that way there is a problem or my Technology Package is different than yours.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

@ KeriD out of Oneida NY .... hey - I work in Vernon (and Oneida - at a Dairy company that you may have heard of in that area!) lol! I do like it so far - fuel economy is great! The only glitchy that I've run into thus far is the cruise control "resume" thing that I've posted here about.

... I do actually have the manuals out and opened on my desk and am exploring them per jmcjing's earlier response. Yeah ... the computer nerd is RTFM'ing. <grin> {sigh}

Fernando - regular 87 octane fuel - thank you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 PM

Total waste of money to buy higher octane levels (and will make your effective operating cost on par with regular ICE efficient small cars that use regular). The only cars that it makes a difference on are certain high performance cars with high compression engines prone to knocking (many BMWs for example). Even many of those can use regular but it will reduce horsepower. All modern engines have knock sensors that adjust to differing octane ratings by adjusting timing and/or fuel mix.
PAULRIDES, realto and Blackdog like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page