Remote hatch opening - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Remote hatch opening

I don't think that my remote is working. If I long press on the hatch open button, the turn signals flash after a few seconds but the hatch doesn't open.
Is that wrong?

P. S. Mine is a LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
I don't think that my remote is working. If I long press on the hatch open button, the turn signals flash after a few seconds but the hatch doesn't open.
Is that wrong?

P. S. Mine is a LE
The hatch doesn't open and rise like some minivans. Pressing on the hatch open button just unlocks it, so you can open.
It also will open(unlock) in proximitry with fob, just like the driver door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 11:08 AM

I have no clue why that button is on the key fob. It serves no purpose unless you want someone else to open the hatch without the key fob in hand.

Maybe they set up the buttons that way for a future automatic opener.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Niro View Post
I have no clue why that button is on the key fob. It serves no purpose unless you want someone else to open the hatch without the key fob in hand.

Maybe they set up the buttons that way for a future automatic opener.
NJ- that is what the remote button on the fob is for. Say you were inside the house, and wanted to let your kids get in the car without giving them the key-hit the remote. Or you wanted someone to retrieve something you left in the back, without walking back to car- the hatch remote. Or you didn't lock with the handle button, and now are away from car- use the remote to lock.. etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

OK, so the button is practically useless.

Every car, SUV or truck that I have owned in the past 10 or so years had that exact same button and it DID pop the hatch or trunk or rear door. It didn't open it, just popped the latch.

One other thing, there is no way to open the hatch on the NIRO from the drivers seat??? There isn't any button or switch or toggle etc. If you carry the keyfob in your pocket, you need to reach into your pocket to retrieve the remote to open the hatch. Not always easy.

Heck, my 1979 Dodge Colt had that feature and here we are almost 40 years later...

Oh well, thats not why I bought this car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:49 PM

The button for the lift gate just unlocks the lift gate, you hold the button, the hazard lights will blink twice to show it is unlocked, once the lift gate is opened and then closed it will lock itself automatically.

If you have the remote with you in your pocket, you don't need to take it out to unlock the lift gate, it will unlock automatically once you press the button on the lift gate to open it.

Last edited by fernando; 09-01-2017 at 05:52 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:25 PM

I held down that lift gate button for ever, and nothing happen.. nice to know I don't need a new fob.

Also, thanks for telling me about the no hands, and in pocket auto unlock on the lift gate, helpful with full hands.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 AM

TOTALLY LAAAAAME FOR THE REMOTE TO HAVE A WORTHLESS BUTTON... ONLY MAKES ONE FEEL DISAPPOINTED... EVERY TIME YOU LOOK AT IT... You worthless piece of crap button!!!

FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!

SOLUTION:. make it frickin work KIA, or take it off the dang remote!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 12:55 AM

To save weight they eliminated to auto hatch opening motors. After a week it stopped bothering me. But I was spoiled with the 2013 Energi I traded in - it had a hands free auto open on the hatch, just pass your foot under the bumper !!!

Also why the hatch itself is aluminum not steel, most of the car is made of low weight high tensile steel, there is no sunroof, plastic hub caps ..... every 100 pounds removed probably adds a few MPG.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 PM

Power Liftgate

There is an automatic power liftgate available in some markets. You can buy it on AliExpress.com for about $400. They Key fob button will activate it to open and close and there is also a button on the dash next to the lane assist.

Kit -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...AbTest=ae803_5

Video -

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page