Autonomous driving - Niro vs Tesla - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to robertstrong Send a message via Skype™ to robertstrong
Autonomous driving - Niro vs Tesla

I recently bot a Niro PHEV EX for my wife and now have a few days of familiarization. I will compare the autonomous driving features to my Tesla S which I have driven some 20K miles.

Note first that the standard EX now includes the SCC Smart Cruise Control and the Acitve LKA lane keeping assistant. For a car that costs so much less than a Tesla M3 I am very impressed with the capability. Keep in mind that the self driving feature on the M3 costs $5,000.
The SCC for me is every bit as capable as the Tesla with one exception.
At 6 MPH it disengages so the driver is always responsible for not rear ending the car ahead. In the Tesla I can read the paper when in a traffic jam without concern - no 'hands on the wheel' reminders. Kia went the cutout route as other car builders have done for liability reasons for now. No better way to assure that the driver understands their ultimate responsibility.

The active LKA feature works just like the Tesla although in both cases it is designed for highways and not byways. Tesla is actually better on the byways but that is not really as good thing as it encourages misuse.

Note that both Hyundai/Kia and VW have selected Aurora as their autonomous driving partner. Aurora is led by guys many think are the best minds in that technology. So Tesla has real competition on the road right now. I do not think either the stock market or the car buying market yet really understands this.
As a footnote as a technology investor I think Nvidia is the place for investment now not Tesla. When and if Aurora goes public I would invest.
All IMHO. Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:45 PM

NEVER...I want no parts of Skynet controlling me.

You will have to pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to robertstrong Send a message via Skype™ to robertstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
NEVER...I want no parts of Skynet controlling me.

You will have to pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands.
You will be perfect. In compliance with SCC and LKA expectations.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertstrong View Post
You will be perfect. In compliance with SCC and LKA expectations.
Long live Sarah Conner!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:46 PM

I've only had one annoyance with lane keep assist. when I was going around 72 mph around an usually sharp corner on the freeway, it jerked the car pretty hard to stay in the lane and was a bit startling. seems you have to hug the inside corner in that situation to avoid that (or slow down). most freeways have gentler corners. otherwise, I like it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:45 PM

It does like initiating turns earlier than a driver I've noticed. Along with many other Ioniq/Niro owners reports, mine likes to hug the left line. Mine will actually cross the lane line now (with an audio alert) in both regular and active LKAS. Even in regular mode in the center of the lane, it will make adjustments. I find these really annoying, and as I like the way it drives manually, I often turn it off when my attention is 100% focused. I'm fairly disappointed for the extra price I paid.

These flaws are probably warranty items I will take up with Kia. There is some dealer calibration process for the LKAS that has to be done with a windshield change so there must be a way to adjust it to at least to center in lane.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page