Running the fans without AC or heat? - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Running the fans without AC or heat?

I recall seeing a post a few weeks ago about how to run the fan without engaging the AC, but I can't find it now. When it's cool outside I'd like to run the fan just to bring in air from outside without wasting energy on ac. Does anyone know how to do this or can point me to the original post on this subject?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 PM

Garage
I just push the fan button until the speed I want comes on. Just don't hit the AC button!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 08:28 AM

The HVAC controls are the single most frustrating part of the Niro, period. I have the same question which is easily answered in older cars with a knob for temperature and fan. As best as I can tell, to get ambient unconditioned air, you must first set the desired temperature to the same as (or within a few degrees) of outside temperature by turning the knob. Setting the temperature will cause the fan to come on at some undesired level, then you can reset that level.

Under some mysterious conditions, the AC will come on without the AC button lit. The one non-mysterious one is running defrost. That may trigger both heat and AC. Full manual controls with dials where one glance shows you the current settings are so much easier!

Not sure what the auto mode even does, but I doubt it makes anything easier. One of these days I will get around to reading the clumsy English in the handbook to see if I can make any more sense of the HVAC.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:37 AM

If I hit the AC button on my Touring with the fans running The AC turns off or on. Verified by the top of the screen greying out (off) or turning darkish (on). This behavior is unchanged with selecting outside vent or the inside/recirc venting. I tested this several times today in upper 80 degree outside temps (cool for socal this time of year and soon to be in the hundreds), so as to tell if I was pulling in uncooled or cooled air. It was obvious that one could run fans independent of the AC being on or off. I can only assume that the heat side is the same but it's not the time of year to verify that. BTW my cool setting is 69 degrees (F)
KK6PD likes this.

2018 Niro Touring "Rich Espresso"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:06 AM

My experience in the wintertime is that if I set my heat to high (getting hot air), then turn the fans off, I am no longer getting heated incoming air. To make it sticky, I have leave the fans on for a minute and then it may heat the incoming air when I turn them off. I picked the car up in January in 15 degree weather, so the HVAC was frustrating on the first drive.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
The HVAC controls are the single most frustrating part of the Niro, period. I have the same question which is easily answered in older cars with a knob for temperature and fan. As best as I can tell, to get ambient unconditioned air, you must first set the desired temperature to the same as (or within a few degrees) of outside temperature by turning the knob. Setting the temperature will cause the fan to come on at some undesired level, then you can reset that level.

Under some mysterious conditions, the AC will come on without the AC button lit. The one non-mysterious one is running defrost. That may trigger both heat and AC. Full manual controls with dials where one glance shows you the current settings are so much easier!

Not sure what the auto mode even does, but I doubt it makes anything easier. One of these days I will get around to reading the clumsy English in the handbook to see if I can make any more sense of the HVAC.

The AC will come on in the Niro if it detects moisture on the windshield.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
I'm not sure how this works, especially if climate is off, but I don't approve. I'd like to manage my own comfort and efficiency.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddarrah View Post
I'm not sure how this works, especially if climate is off, but I don't approve. I'd like to manage my own comfort and efficiency.
If you want to vent use the panel/feet/defrost selector to pick your source. Then hit the off button for climate control. Then crack a window and you’ll get lots of fresh air while moving. Also I think if you have auto defrost enabled then AC button is useless.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:

I DO agree that everything should be user selectable on ALL electronic products. I think perhaps they are doing this as a safety measure perhaps. I've only noticed my AC kick on in an extreme moisture situation, 99% humidity,,,,,,fogged windows bad enough to cause a visibility issue............
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:27 AM

It is my understanding that climate control in the Niro is automatic in all aspects.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page