How to see current MPG while driving? - Kia Niro Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

How to see current MPG while driving?

Hi sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. On my Prius, I was able to monitor my MPG on a regular basis - while driving, my daily score, and my monthly score. Is this possible fro a Niro PHEX LX? Any input is welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Buy an Ultragauge...best investment for maximising mileage ...ever!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Is there nothing on the actual car? I have an app that I can use but I was hoping I have something on my dash or wherever in the car.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiadeNiro View Post
Is there nothing on the actual car? I have an app that I can use but I was hoping I have something on my dash or wherever in the car.
Nope, big mistake by KIA.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
check the center display for the prev app

2018 Niro PHEV LX Silver/charcoal
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
It depends, on my EX Premium PHEV one of the instrument panel displays is an MPG indicator. It's just a horizontal bar indicator but it displays the current average mpg and the (instantaneous?) mpg is displayed graphically. Not perfect, but it works. In my experience the calculation of instantaneous mpg has a large uncertainty so the graph is good enough to tell me how I'm doing right now. The owner's manual implies that the feature is available on bot the regular and premium cluster. Here's the relevant page from the manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MPG.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	4087  
safari and smacks999 like this.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphEV View Post
It depends, on my EX Premium PHEV one of the instrument panel displays is an MPG indicator. It's just a horizontal bar indicator but it displays the current average mpg and the (instantaneous?) mpg is displayed graphically. Not perfect, but it works. In my experience the calculation of instantaneous mpg has a large uncertainty so the graph is good enough to tell me how I'm doing right now. The owner's manual implies that the feature is available on bot the regular and premium cluster. Here's the relevant page from the manual:
That display only updates based on your manually resetting it. It does not average the current trip. That is probably the most useful bit of information, how am I doing during my trip...long or short.

Example...when I bought my Fusion Hybrid, I could tell when and where to coast or give power or regen based on comparing yesterdays trip with todays. My commute to work started at 39 mpg, by the time I traded it for the Niro, I was up to 44. Thats progress.

With the Niro, that just isnt easy or even possible. You will be guessing.

With the Ultragauge giving me current mpg feedback, I am actually getting better than EPA on mine. Heck, a trip to Walmart, that originally got 49 mpg, I can easily get up near 60...and that with a Touring model.
safari likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
That display only updates based on your manually resetting it. It does not average the current trip. That is probably the most useful bit of information, how am I doing during my trip...long or short.

Example...when I bought my Fusion Hybrid, I could tell when and where to coast or give power or regen based on comparing yesterdays trip with todays. My commute to work started at 39 mpg, by the time I traded it for the Niro, I was up to 44. Thats progress.

With the Niro, that just isnt easy or even possible. You will be guessing.

With the Ultragauge giving me current mpg feedback, I am actually getting better than EPA on mine. Heck, a trip to Walmart, that originally got 49 mpg, I can easily get up near 60...and that with a Touring model.
I tried it this morning and while yes, the numeric display is the current average, the bar graph is the "instantaneous" value, kind of like the mpg meter in some older BMWs.

For example, while I was on battery the gauge was off scale high. Once I was using the ICE it fluctuated based on conditions. Seems like something close to what you're looking for.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Garage
Question...on the Ultragauge...are you using it on a reg HEV or PHEV? and where did you mount it? Thanks!

Mike 2018 niro PHEV
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
Question...on the Ultragauge...are you using it on a reg HEV or PHEV? and where did you mount it? Thanks!

Mike 2018 niro PHEV
I have a standard hybrid, but it shouldnt matter. The Ultragauge gets its info from the OBD2 port and has a whole lot of readouts of that info. I used a binder clip and a couple of small screws and clipped it mounted to the thin piece of plastic right above the steering column.
lrpavlo and safari like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page