smart keys and car theft. ever worry? - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

smart keys and car theft. ever worry?

You hear about it on TV and often on the internet news. Another car was stolen from a persons house. They just opened the door and drove off. The last one I read was someone sealing a BMI i3, where they were caught on the homeowner's security camera. It took them more time to figure out how to unplug the electric charger from the car than it did to walk up to the car and front door with the smartkey booster and open the door.

So is this something that you are worried about? I don't know enough about the Kia smartkeys to know if this sort of technology could be used against me. do you need to have your keys beside the front door for the booster to work, or if they are more towards the middle of the house or a good 20' away, could the signal be jacked to start your car? Do we need to put our keys into a faraday pouch each night to really protect ourselves?

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM

If I owned a BMW, I might be more concerned. As owner of an economy car, not a good target for professional thieves. Technically speaking, both key fobs can be cloned if you have the tools for it.

If I was interested in stealing a car, I know which one I would pick for best financial gain. Different risk/reward ratio, same jail time for either car.

I question the judgement of stealing an i3 though. You can pick up good low mileage used ones for 15K. I'd bet they didn't know what it was worth, just assumed the BMW logo was good enough for some value. Not even worth parting out.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I wonder about the news of someone steeling the 19" rear wheel rims off a dodge Journy. https://globalnews.ca/news/4583197/e...n-back-wheels/ cant understand why but obvoisuly they needed a pair and so the stole them.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:06 PM

Well, that is not a smart key issue. Working in California once and parking on the street and someone stole my rear license plate. Called Ohio and was able to get a new set mailed to me. And on a recent short trip to California, someone stole my roof trim (just one side)! On order now, about $40.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Fortunately I have a two car garage and my new ride will be residing there to protect it from the brutal Georgia sun. I also get early to work so I have an excellent space to keep an eye on my car. I will also be installing a camera over the garage that will at least be 1080 resolution. It doesn't seem like a smart idea to steal a Eco friendly car. Not the fastest to get away from police.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:23 PM

Or the shotgun toting owner inside the home!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page