UVO simple question. - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
UVO simple question.

Hi there, i have a new 2019 PHEV and i would like to know for you guy's in the USA, what you can do with your UVO system app on your mobile or PC.

Here in Canada, we can only, lock the doors, flash the lights, to turn on the AC or defog the windsheild, you need to start the car remotely... and it's slow..

No option are available for the charge etc...

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:24 AM

I have an android phone and I downloaded "UVO Eco" from Google Play to work with my 2018 USA PHEV. There were some other UVO Apps on Google Play that I did not download, but it was a guessing game as to which App I should install. I think I picked the appropriate app for my car, but still not 100% certain.

The UVO Eco app displays a top level of three tabs named "Remote", "Stats", and "Locations". Each of those top level tabs has some number of sub tabs. For example, the Remote Tab has three sub tabs named "Climate", "Security" and "Battery". The Top Level "Stats" tab has sub tabs named by month of the year that show my "driving score" for that month. The top level "Locations" tab has three sub tabs for "My POIs", "Charging Stations", and "Trips".

In addition to the top level tabs, there is a menu that offers "Car Zone Alerts", "Maintenance" and "Roadside Assistance". The CarZone stuff is about keeping tabs on someone else (like your kids perhaps) driving your car. It appears to be able to alert you when the car is used after curfew, outside of a "geo fence" area, if a certain speed is exceeded, or if you hand your car over to a valet and they abuse your trust (assuming you figured out how to set up any of these features beforehand). I haven't attempted to use any of the CarZone features.

My (rather limited) experience so far is that it was slow to connect, I was able to remotely turn on the AC, but I don't anticipate using the remote AC feature very often because it takes so long to connect. In other words, it was kind of cool to play with this app for a few days, but after that, I've started to contemplate that it doesn't seem to have much value and maybe I made a mistake to agree to the terms of service, because it feels kind of creepy to have Kia's web site knowing this much information about my driving habits.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
I have an android phone and I downloaded "UVO Eco" from Google Play to work with my 2018 USA PHEV. There were some other UVO Apps on Google Play that I did not download, but it was a guessing game as to which App I should install. I think I picked the appropriate app for my car, but still not 100% certain..

Thanks for the info! looks cool to use, but it's not available for canada.. yet.! LOL

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vices&hl=fr_CA

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Hi there, i have a new 2019 PHEV and i would like to know for you guy's in the USA, what you can do with your UVO system app on your mobile or PC.

Here in Canada, we can only, lock the doors, flash the lights, to turn on the AC or defog the windsheild, you need to start the car remotely... and it's slow..

No option are available for the charge etc...

Finally got my UVO up and running 2 months after buying the car!! Kia Canada really gave me the runaround, including outright lies on multiple calls and emails. They are the complete opposite of the dealership in terms of competence. I think I lucked out by finally getting the right guy in the room who knew what he was talking about and solved the problem in under a week.

And.. now that I have it, it seems kinda useless. It's just a spy system for Kia. All I wanted this whole time was detailed information, including stats, on the EV side of things. Instantaneous charge rate etc. It's so annoying to have the car dumbed-down to the level it is. I was gonna get the Niro EV as soon as it came out, but am now thinking I might keep the PHEV and wait for the Model Y.

Disappointing indeed.

Is there an OBD way to gain access to all of the detailed charging/discharging info?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:31 AM

Yes.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orac View Post
Finally got my UVO up and running 2 months after buying the car!! Kia Canada really gave me the runaround, including outright lies on multiple calls and emails. They are the complete opposite of the dealership in terms of competence. I think I lucked out by finally getting the right guy in the room who knew what he was talking about and solved the problem in under a week.

And.. now that I have it, it seems kinda useless. It's just a spy system for Kia. All I wanted this whole time was detailed information, including stats, on the EV side of things. Instantaneous charge rate etc. It's so annoying to have the car dumbed-down to the level it is. I was gonna get the Niro EV as soon as it came out, but am now thinking I might keep the PHEV and wait for the Model Y.

Disappointing indeed.
Yes, it is disappointing.. i only get the remote start-up with windshield defrost and AC, lock/unlock and horn and flasher.! nothing else... No heated steering or seats.. like they have on the 2018 RIO..

I wanted too call them to get some more info, but i will wait a bit.! I think that the app is not 100% complete, and it should of been made before the lunch...

Kia Canada is not very "awake" to help their customers that have PHEV Niro's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orac View Post
Is there an OBD way to gain access to all of the detailed charging/discharging info?
Probably.. Like said yticolev, Yes... but where to find it.! i do not know.!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Garage
It's pretty bad. You aren't missing much. Maybe they'll actually try to improve it in the next year. The one thing I have used it a couple times for is remote starting of the heat....which of course starts the car. I actually gave up on the app and just use chrome on my phone to log into the owner site and do it. It actually works better and easier that way than through the app.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandent View Post
I actually gave up on the app and just use chrome on my phone to log into the owner site and do it. It actually works better and easier that way than through the app.

Thats a good idea!!!! Thanks.!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
Thats a good idea!!!! Thanks.!
I left out the best part. Chrome will store your username/pwd so you can just hit the button to log in. The app? Not so much. Pain.in.the.arse.
lafe005 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:04 PM

somebody’s watching

“It's just a spy system for Kia.”

i would happy to supply kia with feedback in the hope that they would improve the car. but i did not register for evo because it allows kia to share (sell?) information with “3rd parties”. facebook? google? and then there’s the government who can get whatever is available with a warrant, or without one for that matter (nsa’s stellar wind), but i’m not making it easy for them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page