Smart Key mystery - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Griswald
  • 1 Post By Griswald

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Smart Key mystery

There is a thread on the forum that talked about the rear hatch unlock on the smart remote. I an wondering if there are some other Niro owners who would like to solve a mystery for me. I purchased two 2018 Niro EX several months back. Both of the cars have the smart remote that has a button on it for the remote rear hatch, and both vehicles the button has no function. If you press the button and hold it for over a second, it flashes the rear lights and the lights on the two side mirrors, but seems to have no other function. If the car is locked, pressing this button doesn't unlock the rear hatch like some say it does on their vehicle. I just can't understand what the function on the remote is for, and my dealer is of no help either.

The experiment requires two people. One to stand 5-10 feet infront of the Niro with the remote, and the other person at the rear hatch. If the remote is supposed to unlock, then if the person with the keys at the front of the car presses and holds the button, then the other person at the rear should be able to open the rear hatch. As the Niro has a smart key proximity sensor so opening the rear hatch with the keys in your hand or in your pocket will simply unlock the rear hatch. But if the keys are further away that the remote is in range but not in the short distance proximity then the hatch doesn't open.

I want to know if it is something different with the two cars that I bought or if Kia just used a standard smartkey design that has the extra button on it but in fact it really is linked to nothing and doesn't do any rear function.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill401 View Post
But if the keys are further away that the remote is in range but not in the short distance proximity then the hatch doesn't open.
Just there, you got your anwser...

Same ting for unlock the doors.! I have made some test with my son this summer... Lets say, i have the key in my pocket, and i am standing on the right side of the car front door, and someone try's to push the unlock button on the left side car handle, it wont work.. only the right side will detect the key and unlock it.! same thing for the cargo door, you must be veryyyy close to have the sensor detect and give the unlock command.

If you open the cargo door with the keys in your pocket, it will just unlock that cargo door but not the others.. as soon that the cargo door is closed, it locks again.

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

No. it's not really the same thing. If you hit the door unlock button on the remote, then the actual lock on the doors do unlock. You don't need the keys in hand or in your pocket to open the doors. Where as the rear hatch button if you press it, it just makes the lights flash and doesn't actually unlock anything as you can't open the rear hatch unless you have the keys in your hand or in near proximity to the rear hatch of the car.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Yep, glaring ovetsight on Kias part. No way to open the hatch unless you are standing directly behind the latch.

Every car I have ever owned with a hatch has had an inside button to open the hatch.
Dovidan likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 PM

My HHR operates exactly like the Kia with no button on the inside to open the hatch
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:13 PM

Here's what I've discovered about the rear-hatch button on the remote:

If you maybe have the cargo area full of stuff and you're crowding the back hatch so it can't close fully, or if there's nothing in that area but someone tries to close it very gently, in either case it winds up in this half-latched position. When it's in this position, you can tell by observing that the hatch isn't quite flush with the body of the car, and the dashboard will probably signal to you that the hatch is open if you try to start the car. But when it's half-latched like this (at least in my experience), you can neither close it fully, nor can you use the button on the hatch door to unlock it so you can open it and slam it shut. On the four occasions when I've encountered this half-latched situation, for some reason, the button on the remote made it possible to open the hatch and slam it shut, when the button on the door would not open it.

On a slightly tangential note: a friend of mine has a Toyota Van with a button on his remote to open the rear hatch. Unlike the Niro, his hatch is on a motor: it goes up and it goes down under motor control. And the linkage gets whacked if someone makes a mistake and tries to close it manually. I told my friend that I didn't have a lot of appreciation for that feature (after I had mucked up the linkage on his van by naively trying to close the hatch manually). But he told me that he loves that feature, because he can walk out of the grocery store with a bag of groceries in each arm and so long as he thought to put his remote in his hand before he walked out, he can hit that button and the hatch opens for him. This leaves me wondering about all of the times my Niro has started the alarm horn because I left the key fob in my pocket and when I sat down, something pushed against that button. If I owned my friend's Toyota van, perhaps the back hatch would be opening every time I sit down in my office chair, and then maybe, because it has a motor on that door, after a minute or two of inactivity, perhaps it would automatically close, just as the Niro's door locks will automatically relock after a period of time if you press the unlock button, but you fail to open a door. Think about it.... In other words, it does seem to be a strange feature on the Niro key fob, I can kind of see why it doesn't actually open the rear hatch, and when I think about my friend's situation and also about all the times the car alarm has gone off because I've got too much stuff in my pockets, I'm kind of glad that it behaves the way that it does. But better still would have been for Kia to provide a key fob where the buttons were somewhat recessed, and to provide a latching mechanism for the back hatch that would open the hatch from a hafl-latched state via the button on the door.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyellowvette View Post
My HHR operates exactly like the Kia with no button on the inside to open the hatch

Heck, my 1979 Dodge Colt had an inside release. Are car companies really cheaping out that much???
Dovidan likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Yep, glaring ovetsight on Kias part. No way to open the hatch unless you are standing directly behind the latch.

Every car I have ever owned with a hatch has had an inside button to open the hatch.
I have never owned a hatchback car that had a button inside that opened the hatch, unless it was a power opened liftgate. I have owned probably 20 different hatchback cars and vans in my life from my first car ( a 1980 chevy citation) to the current niro and none of them have had it. Now sedans I have owned have had trunk releases and many have had releases on key fobs like my previous soul. I have had one minivan with buttons to open the side power doors and it was the only one that I have owned that had a button for the power hatch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page