RCTA - Confusing Owner Manuel Info - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
No dedicated dash button? Say next to the traction control button (used for the first time today on a muddy uphill) and the LKAS buttons?
Exactly - Lane Keep Assist and Blind Spot monitoring have dedicated buttons on the dash (along with the button to temporarily disable ESC). You would think if they really wanted you to only turn on the cross traffic alert when using it, they would provide a button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carmichael View Post
Backing in or Backing out, there is no difference in time savings.

Backing in makes it safer driving out, far more visibility. Most Asian countries backing in is the norm.
You can do whatever you like, but your bias is showing. Is backing in a tight spot easier than into a wide area? Is it faster? The facts are clear and in addition your habits are in the minority in the US - drive around any large parking lot and see how many cars are which way.

Whether forward view is safer in modern cars in parking lots is up for debate. To see cross traffic in a parking lot while backing up, I only need to be an or so inch past adjacent cars with the wide angle backup camera to see everything. Leaving a parking space going forward, my eyes need to be one inch past the adjacent cars. That means my entire hood and part of the windshield has to be in the traffic lane. How can you see a toddler walking close by the adjacent parked cars? You cannot going forward (might be a good idea to have a forward mounted camera on the front bumper.

Good to know about Asian countries I suppose.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
You can do whatever you like, but your bias is showing. Is backing in a tight spot easier than into a wide area? Is it faster? The facts are clear and in addition your habits are in the minority in the US - drive around any large parking lot and see how many cars are which way.
In my experience, it comes down to vehicle size. If I'm driving the Niro or the Golf, I pull straight in. If I'm driving my Ram pickup, I tend to back in. You are correct that in a passenger car you only need to back up a little bit before you can see cross traffic pretty well. By comparison in a pickup or large SUV you have to back out pretty far before you can see anything. Plus, with a longer wheelbase, backing up into a spot is often easier than pulling in forward. The rear wheels have a smaller turning circle than the front which makes it easier to back in to a tight spot.

Go to a Walmart parking lot and compare parking behaviors for SUVs and pickups vs. regular cars. I think you'll notice a trend.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 PM

I think you are right. I have noticed that but never thought about it. Thank you for that. Those trucks need a backup camera even more than small cars! Despite the safety advantages, they may never be mandated for pickups. Backup cameras have been mandated in the US for all cars manufactured since May 2018 but I cannot find if that includes SUVs even. I'm thinking not.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Oops, wrong again. Backup cameras are indeed mandated on all vehicles less than 10,000 pounds. So that would include pickups, even though a working pickup view from the back can be restricted by loads or towing. Good news I'd say but it will take some time for that to be a substantial portion of all vehicles on the road.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 AM

So far this conversation has implied that backing in and backing out are the only options. Most of the parking lots that I visit offer a third option: pulling through. You don't have to back in or back out when you pull through, but you usually have to spend a few more steps walking between the car and the store. I'm OK with that, because it typically means that I'm not parking tight up against someone with a big SUV that's got a high probability of dinging the side of my car when they open their door.

Responding to Roadkill401, I know my experience in this respect is ancient, and maybe things work differently today or work differently in Canada, but the last I knew, at least here in the USA, if someone hits you in the rear, the insurance company automatically considers them to be at fault. Meaning, you could rocket out of a parking spot in reverse and if someone hit you behind the rear door, then absent really compelling evidence to the contrary, they are at fault according to the insurance company (in jurisdictions that care about fault).

Which is not to suggest that you want to have this experience, even if someone else has to pay for it. Which is way I prefer to pull through when I can, not have to back out, and not have to rely on RCTA to spare me the headaches of dealing with insurance, body shops, and after effects when the insurance and body shop says you should be great, but something still isn't quite the way it used to be if you ever have the misfortune to be involved in a collision..

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
So far this conversation has implied that backing in and backing out are the only options. Most of the parking lots that I visit offer a third option: pulling through.
The conversation we were having was parking head in (or forward) versus backing in. Pulling through is by far the greenest option, however the point jmurphEV made was that large vehicles may not be able to park forward (thus not being able to pull through either with adjacent parked vehicles.

I've been "pulling through" for years. It is the easy hypermiler choice that anyone can do and cannot be faulted on safety grounds either. It avoids any direction you now have to expend energy to reverse when you park or leave (unless you can take advantage of a slope). Typically you have to park farther away but this is greener for a couple of reasons. One is that you usually do not have to hunt for a spot, and second is that usually total distance driven will be less on that trip. In addition, the extra walk is probably healthier (the debate would be about inhaled exhaust gases and a slight increase in risk of being hit).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page