RCTA - Confusing Owner Manuel Info - Kia Niro Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

RCTA - Confusing Owner Manuel Info

My Niro PHEV has Rear Cross Traffic alert. When I took delivery of the car, RCTA was enabled in the User Settings/Driving Assist menu. As the owners manual notes, the system only operates when the shift lever is in reverse and the car is going less than 6.2 MPH. The manual also says that when the car is turned off, the system will remember the last setting upon restart. But then it adds this line: "Always turn the RCTA system off when not in use." (Page 6-70 of the manual.)
So do they really expect me to keep this turned off, and then when I need to back up in a parking lot, scroll through the Driving Assist menu and turn it on? This doesn't really make any sense - considering that they system is automatically off except for when the car is in reverse.
Does anyone else who has this feature keep it turned off in the Driving Assist menu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hi lifterguy, No i do not, always on

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:15 PM

No dedicated dash button? Say next to the traction control button (used for the first time today on a muddy uphill) and the LKAS buttons?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:15 PM

I don't have any special insight into the technology, but I always leave mine configured to come on when needed, and I've already appreciated it on one occasion (an idiot driving over 30 MPH in a cramped parking lot while I was backing up and wasn't yet out far enough to see side traffic). I choose to interpret the manual this way: "it turns itself off most of the time, and turns itself on when you are in reverse and going less than 6.2 MPH. If you have some occasion to put the car in reverse for a really long time, you might want to turn it off via programming." I don't know why they suggest turning it off when not in use, maybe it heats up or something if you have it on for an extended period. But how often do you find a reason to sit with your car in reverse for more than a minute or two at a time?

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

I just make sure I reverse into parking spots. The theory I have is that from an insurance point of view, if you are reversing out, then it really doesn't matter what the other side was doing, you are at fault. You could be 90% of the way out of the parting spot and the other car decided to t-bone you, you are at fault. But if you are in Drive and going forward, then the actual rules of the road apply. Or at least that is the way it works here in Ontario.
Dovidan and Jason Carmichael like this.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Why would t-boning a car backing out or going forward change the liability? If someone slams in to the side of your car in a parking lot, they must be at fault.

Personally, I never back into spots in a lot. Waste of my time (and fuel) and others in a busy parking lot waiting to get by a slow back in parker (speaking generally, not you or me). Some lots even post signs saying front in parking only. You used to be able to make a safety argument about visibility backing out of a parking space and hitting kids, but that is now moot with backup cameras mandated by law.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Why would t-boning a car backing out or going forward change the liability? If someone slams in to the side of your car in a parking lot, they must be at fault.

Personally, I never back into spots in a lot. Waste of my time (and fuel) and others in a busy parking lot waiting to get by a slow back in parker (speaking generally, not you or me). Some lots even post signs saying front in parking only. You used to be able to make a safety argument about visibility backing out of a parking space and hitting kids, but that is now moot with backup cameras mandated by law.

I did not say it was logical, just that is what the insurance rules are here in Ontario. Once you get 'dinnged' by the rules, you are concoius about them. Like I hit by a car who ran a red light and the insurance clamed I was partially at fault as I said I saw them coming down the road and they were not breaking but there wasn't anything I could do. They said that if I saw them, then it was my responsability to break to avoid the accident.

2018 Niro EX - Ocean Blue
GTA - Canada.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifterguy View Post
My Niro PHEV has Rear Cross Traffic alert. When I took delivery of the car, RCTA was enabled in the User Settings/Driving Assist menu. As the owners manual notes, the system only operates when the shift lever is in reverse and the car is going less than 6.2 MPH. The manual also says that when the car is turned off, the system will remember the last setting upon restart. But then it adds this line: "Always turn the RCTA system off when not in use." (Page 6-70 of the manual.)
So do they really expect me to keep this turned off, and then when I need to back up in a parking lot, scroll through the Driving Assist menu and turn it on? This doesn't really make any sense - considering that they system is automatically off except for when the car is in reverse.
Does anyone else who has this feature keep it turned off in the Driving Assist menu?

2017 Niro EX HEV not PHEV here, and RCTA can be disabled but when it's ON it's always ON
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage
Backing in or Backing out, there is no difference in time savings.

Backing in makes it safer driving out, far more visibility. Most Asian countries backing in is the norm.

17 LX Pearl White
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:37 PM

I always back in and wouldn't say the rear camera for the Niro is not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page