Senors triggered for no reason - Kia Niro Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Senors triggered for no reason

Hello, I have a 2019 Niro Touring PHEV and it is loaded with all parking sensors.
I notice sometimes when driving or just stopped at a light they randomly trip on and I hear the beeps as if I'm approaching a median or another car for example even though I'm far away from anything or not moving.

Is this normal? Does it happen to anyone else? If there's a problem what should I do??
It doesn't happen very often maybe once every 2-3 days and it comes on for maybe 2-3 seconds then goes back to normal.

thanks

Kia Niro PHEV Touring 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 PM

I have not experienced this behavior.

I have noticed that if I'm in drive but stopped with the brake on and someone walks in front of me, the sensors beep.

Any chance the weather conditions affect the behavior you are experiencing? If it's raining, or if the sensors are caked over in road slush, perhaps that might explain it?

There's a button on the console next to the gear shift that will switch off the forward parking sensors that you might want to use as a temporary workaround, but unless your problem is simply due to a need to clean the sensors, you will probably want to get it checked out at a dealer.

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:41 AM

I noticed this happening too. I have a hunch it's another cars radar interfering with the Niro's. But not sure if thats pososble. Seems to happen more if I'm behind a Tesla.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tomko View Post
Is this normal? Does it happen to anyone else? If there's a problem what should I do??
It doesn't happen very often maybe once every 2-3 days and it comes on for maybe 2-3 seconds then goes back to normal.

thanks
Happens to me sort of regularly but not often if that makes sense. It usually happens in stop and go traffic which I think the ECU interprets as pulling into a parking space. Sometimes it will beep coming out of a parking lot if there is a bit of an incline.

Seems pretty normal to me. When it really gets going in traffic I just hit the button next to the shifter and turn it off.

Jim
Southern Maryland
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tomko View Post
Hello, I have a 2019 Niro Touring PHEV and it is loaded with all parking sensors.
I notice sometimes when driving or just stopped at a light they randomly trip on and I hear the beeps as if I'm approaching a median or another car for example even though I'm far away from anything or not moving.

thanks
I've had that and sometimes as soon as I start the car. We've had quite a bit of snow and freezing rain and the ice, for sure, triggers the sensors. I find too that as snow and ice shifts during the drive (although mostly at stop lights) I get the beeps. It doesn't happen any other time for me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok it isnt just me lol... Yea the weather here hasnt been too great snow and all, so i havent washed it recently. I also notice like that guy said on inclines out of my garage it beeps as-well.

It really doesnt happen enough where it bothers me i figure it could be dirt or weather or something but wanted to check with you guys. thanks for the info! 🙂 Im new here and you guys rock
lafe005 likes this.

Kia Niro PHEV Touring 2019
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:21 PM
TK6

Yes, it happens when at a light and the intersection is on a slight "up-grade". Told the wife to just turn off the Parking sensor button next to the shift lever until actually parking.

2018 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
Silver with black interior
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:12 PM
Maq

I just got 2019 hybrid EX premium a week ago and I had similar problem 2 days after I bought. Sensors at the front(Both Forward collision warning and Blind-spot collision warning) were beeping randomly and for quite sometime. It started beeping when I was about to stop for the traffic light but the car in front of me was more than one car distance and the car at the next lane was far enough. It happened couple times already, so I called the dealer but their answer/suggestion was to turn-off the sensor( that I do not want to turn it off) or to make appointment with the service department. I have not brought it to the service yet but if it happens again, I definitely I will.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:01 AM

Mine beeped quasi-randomly once, not very long ago, when I was at a stop light and cross traffic was passing in front of me. But most of the time, mine beeps in a parking lot when I'm approaching a curb (not 100% reliably, if the curb is low), and it beeps every time I pull into my garage when I'm about 3 feet away from the wall and creeping slowly toward it. The side collision sensors beep for the entire time I'm entering or exiting the garage (I only have about two feet on either side of the car when I park in the garage).

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maq View Post
I just got 2019 hybrid EX premium a week ago and I had similar problem 2 days after I bought. Sensors at the front(Both Forward collision warning and Blind-spot collision warning) were beeping randomly and for quite sometime. It started beeping when I was about to stop for the traffic light but the car in front of me was more than one car distance and the car at the next lane was far enough. It happened couple times already, so I called the dealer but their answer/suggestion was to turn-off the sensor( that I do not want to turn it off) or to make appointment with the service department. I have not brought it to the service yet but if it happens again, I definitely I will.
Unless it becomes a constant problem I suspect you'll find that there's nothing for the dealer to fix. The sensors use ultrasound to detect obstacles and anything that causes a return will trigger the alert. Enough crud on the bumper, heavy rain or snow, potentially interference from similar sensors on the car in front or behind you. Mine probably triggers randomly several times a week, mostly in traffic or approaching an incline in a parking lot. Seems pretty normal to me and they work just fine when needed.

Jim
Southern Maryland