Uvo - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Uvo

Can someone in a few sentences please tell me what UVO means and how to use this on the Niro I just bought. I am 65 years old and the manual reads to me as just a bunch of mumble.....jumbo. Is this something useful and what I should be using? I love my Niro and started looking for a used one with the EV/Hybrid electric option. I don't hardly ever travel over 25 miles a day and would love to run completely on an overnight charge.

This little jewel does so much more than ever imagined and wish I could figure out how to use every feature!

Thanks,

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:59 PM

If you have a smart phone you can get the "UVO eco" app for the PHEV cars, and I think the "uvo" app for non-plug in. The app lets you see the status of your battery charge, set times for charging, locate your car... There is also a button on the mirror that will connect you with emergency services if needed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:08 PM

Hello Rod, congratulations on your purchase.You bought a good car!

Unfortunately, "UVO" means different things to different owners, depending on the model and trim package you purchased. Kia has engaged in what I consider "sloppy branding" when they talk about UVO, and I didn't really know what it meant before I purchased my car, still don't feel 100% confident that I know all of what is about even today.

In my 2018 Plug-in Hybrid, it means that I can give voice commands to the car: I can ask the built in navigation system to select a course to a new destination, I can answer my cell phone (if my cell phone is linked with the car), I can give a voice command to the car to tell my cell phone to call someone, and then I can talk to that person over the speakers and microphones in my car, even though my cell phone is in my pocket.

UVO can also mean that I can connect to the car from either a cell phone or a home computer, and can discover it's status. For example, I can discover where it is currently, how many miles it has, etc.

UVO can also mean that when I'm in the shopping mall and planning to be back in the car 10 minutes from now, if I want to mess around with my cell phone for a few minutes, than I can push a button that instructs my car to turn on the air conditioning so that the car will be cooled off when I arrive. People in colder climes than I am in can use this same feature to ask the car to start heating the cabin (but that requires the gas engine to start, and you shouldn't ask it to do that if it's in a closed garage).

Hope this info helps. Welcome to the forum!

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasmith View Post
I can push a button that instructs my car to turn on the air conditioning so that the car will be cooled off when I arrive.
And the car thermal engine wont start ? ... (i got mine in december 2018 in winter, so did not try it yet! LOL)

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafe005 View Post
And the car thermal engine wont start ? ... (i got mine in december 2018 in winter, so did not try it yet! LOL)

I'm not 100% certain. The A/C runs on electric and so the ICE doesn't necessarily start, but I've only tried this once and just because it didn't start on that occasion doesn't mean that it will never start. It occurs to me that there might be some scenarios where it would start, in order to maintain sufficient battery charge. I vaguely recall a warning about not trying to do this in an enclosed space (like a garage with a closed garage door).

2018 Niro PHEV Gravity Blue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page