HVAC control - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

If it's 19C outside and I want it 21C inside, and the A/C comes on and blasts cold air, I find that an inconvenience. I recently turned the A/C on and then off with a long press and it doesn't seem to be using the A/C now without me telling it too. Or maybe it's just a fluke and it's a bit more overcast and that is the difference...

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
@Pbodifee , it's really more of an issue with the PHEV, as enabling the HVAC is an immediate 2 mile range hit on them. Although real world range is still better than the EPA number, it's one way to squeeze a little extra range from the battery. And the PHEV doesn't have those extra power consumption screens. If I had the EV model, I wouldn't bother with it either.
On the EV switching HVAC on can be a 10 mile range hit! But hey, at 270+ miles range, who cares
atc98092 likes this.

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE cars…

Last edited by Pbodifee; 09-03-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:50 AM

I drive a 2019 Niro PHEV EX model. On this model if I turn the climate control off with the off push button and then push the fan button it is my impression I am getting unconditioned outside air. The grey bar at the top of the screen shows only the fan in black all other options are shown in grey. If I hit the A/C button the A/C icon changes from grey to black showing it is now on - if I push the A/C button again it goes back to grey showing it is off. Am I missing something?.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
I drive a 2019 Niro PHEV EX model. On this model if I turn the climate control off with the off push button and then push the fan button it is my impression I am getting unconditioned outside air. The grey bar at the top of the screen shows only the fan in black all other options are shown in grey. If I hit the A/C button the A/C icon changes from grey to black showing it is now on - if I push the A/C button again it goes back to grey showing it is off. Am I missing something?.
I hadn't tried that, but I'll look at it. It will be too hot when I leave work this afternoon, but I'll try it tomorrow morning on my morning commute.

I tried slightly opening a rear window this morning instead of tilting the sunroof up. Far, far noisier with the window even slightly open, so if you have a sunroof it's the quieter solution.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That is not what I've observed. Although that may be different now after I did the long press on the A/C to turn it off.

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:17 PM

One thing to keep in mind when doing this is if you have the A/C or heat on and turn it off the coil that the air is passing through will still will have trapped latent energy and you will not get unconditioned air until all the retained heat or coolness in the coil has been dissipated by the incoming air.

Also some think that outside air is naturally fresh and invigorating. If you are trapped in traffic in the city on an 85 degree day the "fresh" air will be polluted super heated air from a city paved with asphalt mixing with the air from the cars exhaust in front of you then dragged across your hot hood into the ventilation duct to be sent to the passenger compartment of your car. I do realize most of you know this but I have run across individuals who thought "fresh" invigorating air would be magically drawn into the car in that environment!
Pbodifee likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:11 PM

I pressed the Off button today and air flow came in through the vents. Thanks for the tip!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yes. If temperature is set above ambient temperature, your air will be heated. The fan button turns HVAC on.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 AM

Here is the button push sequence I use for the outside air ventilation only mode- 1. Climate off button 2. push the fan button to the desired speed 3. push the system circulation mode to face level only (for some reason this is important on my system - if I don't push this it will cool on the other positions I tried)

I use this in the morning when outside air temp is in the 70's and in the afternoon when the temps are in the low 90's and it works for me.

I forgot to include the ventilation mode step previously, the system target temp setting is at 74 degrees which we really never adjust. I do not notice any heating or cooling of the air doing this. Heating would be more apparent in the winter but I would think it would show the ICE coming on within the display with the associate noise of the ICE running.

edited for spelling

Last edited by Johnxyz; 09-05-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I tried it yesterday driving home. Even though the Auto light was off (since I had manually selected the fan speed) and the A/C icon was grayed out, the full HVAC was still running. It was 80F outside, and I definitely had cooled air coming from the vents. So I don't think that is actually working the way you expect. I was really hoping for some way to power the fan for air movement without engaging the HVAC cooling/heating system.

I did just now see you added setting the circulation mode as well. I didn't do that, so I'll give it another shot today. It's supposed to be in the 80s again, so I'll absolutely be able to tell if the air is being cooled.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

Last edited by atc98092; 09-05-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page