HVAC control - Kia Niro Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
HVAC control

It seems to me that whenever I have the HVAC system on, it seems to either want to heat the air or run the A/C. How can I get around this? Some times I just want to blow air in the cabin. I know the car always blows air in the cabin, but at a very low rate. Any recommendations?

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:52 PM

Modern cars are user unfriendly. I would pay extra for old fashioned mechanical dials.

Here are your options. First, if you don't want air circulation, set the controls to recirculation (dedicated button), and then hit the Off button (also dedicated). It is my understanding that recirculation may cancel after a certain length of time because Koreans apparently believe fresh air is important to health. It will certainly reset after you turn the car off. As best I can tell, if you have set recirc and turned off HVAC, there is zero air circulation (previous cars I've had were leaky set this way at highway speed). You can also turn off the dash vents with the dial next to them. That way you can have circulation, but no air directed at you.

Next, if you do want unconditioned air flowing into the car, you must set the temperature to (about) the ambient air temperature (weren't old cars with red to blue dials easier?) displayed on your dash. Only then will the temperature not be adjusted.

One other quirk is that under some conditions, the auto defog system will turn on your AC without the AC light coming on to help dehumidify your interior space (specifically the windshield). If you don't like that, you can defeat it by pressing and holding the front "defrost" button. It has been over a year since I have done that, but as best I recall you will have then have an option to turn it off on the touchscreen. This option stays "sticky". Every time you turn the HVAC on thereafter, you will see a message on the top of the touchscreen informing you that ADS is off. Even with it off, you can certainly turn the AC on should you need it to defog your windshield. It may well be that if the AC is on with ADS working, heat will also come on so your interior temperature remains at the set temperature - not sure since I keep ADS off. But if that sounds like how you want it to operate, you will have to turn it back on.

It is all very complicated. Having this question come up again and again only demonstrates how far removed from user friendly interfaces car makers are. They are competing with the other car makers of course, and if you cannot set a "thermostat" in your car like your home, it won't seem like a modern system in the sales lot. I thought it was wild how perhaps forty years ago similar systems became available in luxury cars and thought at the time it was stupid. Quite sorry that they've finally trickled down to economy cars - I think in the last ten years. I can sort of understand the luxury frame of mind, set your temperature and never touch the controls again. But cars are not like homes, direct sunlight or shade totally screws things up and a simple dial makes it easy to find comfort when needed. I much prefer manual control.
Dovidan and Spiritwalker2222 like this.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Modern cars are user unfriendly. I would pay extra for old fashioned mechanical dials.
It is all very complicated. Having this question come up again and again only demonstrates how far removed from user friendly interfaces car makers are.
Hear hear! This is the one "feature" of the Niro that I really don't like. It wouldn't be so bad if there was just a simple "Econ" button somewhere like in my '05 Audi. That prevents the A/C from coming on and you can just get fresh air in the cabin. Whether in "Auto" or otherwise it seems I can rarely find the perfect combination of settings so I'm always fiddling with it.
Dovidan likes this.

Jim
Southern Maryland / Washington DC
2018 Snow White Pearl EX Premium PHEV
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I found one workaround with mine. Turn the HVAC completely off, then tip the sunroof up (or crack open a window) just slightly. As long as you're moving you will get some unconditioned air flowing through the ductwork. No where near as functional as an "Econ" button, but it does work if you're moving.

Dan
2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I find that even if I set my preferred temp to the exterior temperature, the A/C is usually on. Put it 1 degree higher and the engine turns on to heat up the air! Maybe tipping the sunroof up is the best option, as it does flow more air. I normally either have the sunroof fully open or closed. And the noise is too loud for highway driving, but tipping it may be acceptable. Will check it out.

2019 Kia Niro PHEV, EX Premium

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:38 PM

Cracking a rear window will gain you flow without significant noise.
Dovidan likes this.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
In our climate the outside temp is often around the temp you want to have inside. With the Climate control doing its work it will use minimal energy to maintain the set temperature. That could mean initially a bit heating and when it gets sunny a bit of cooling. On the EV there is a page on the central display telling you how much power the climate system is not using. It is minimal under these conditions. What is there not to like? You can focus on traffic instead of constantly fiddling with the dials? Or am I not understanding the problem?

Peter

Current:2019 Niro EV SX Touring
Past:2018 Niro Hybrid EX Premium

Previously mostly German ICE cars…
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
@Pbodifee , it's really more of an issue with the PHEV, as enabling the HVAC is an immediate 2 mile range hit on them. Although real world range is still better than the EPA number, it's one way to squeeze a little extra range from the battery. And the PHEV doesn't have those extra power consumption screens. If I had the EV model, I wouldn't bother with it either.

Dan

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 AM

That is a two mile hit on estimated range, not actual range. People really get upset by displayed guesses. You can change that display simply by turning off HVAC before plugging in, but that doesn't change actual battery capacity. How far you go in the real world depends on a lot of variables no matter what number is originally displayed. My HEV usually won't display over 530 miles when I fill the tank, yet I still manage to get 700 miles on a tank. The 530 mile guess is annoying, but doesn't change what I actually get.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
That is a two mile hit on estimated range, not actual range.
Absolutely. But people see that immediate drop and it's in the back of their minds. How much in actually reduces range is, as you say, dependent on so many variables you can't place a hard number on it. But there should be no doubt that there is some sort of range impact.

Dan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page