5Likes
  • 2 Post By Neo
  • 1 Post By jjr
  • 2 Post By RedWouldForrest

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
jjr

Infotainment system with USB key

Anyone know if there's a limit to the size or number of files that the system will recognise with a USB key? I have a 128GB USB key formatted FAT32 with about 10000 songs (65-70GB) on it, and it only seems to be recognising 6500 or so songs. Wondering if this is a size limitation or a number of files limitation. It took me awhile to curate my 130GB collection down to this so I'd rather not have to cut it in half again...

If it's a size limitation I could always just re-encode these files to a lower bit rate or something. If it's a number of files limitation I think I'm hooped and may have to find some other solution like using the aux port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Neo

I could have sworn that your question was covered in the manual on the entertainment system. Unfortunately, I don't have it with me at the moment.

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to show these people a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Neo

Manual says the maximum number of files is 8000 for a single USB. Page USB 3-15 of the Car Multimedia System Manual
extech67 and RedWouldForrest like this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:41 PM

following up to see if anyone has an answer... the same thing has happened to me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
jjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by llf11 View Post
following up to see if anyone has an answer... the same thing has happened to me.
It's the number of files. It gets real finicky when there's a lot of files, and it's inconsistent. I just changed the music up a little bit on it, and it went from recognizing around 6500ish files to around 3500. I have to go in for service soon so maybe I'll ask the dealer if there's some kind of firmware update to fix this limitation. Considering a $35 Raspberry Pi has no issues like this I don't see why a car would.
RedWouldForrest likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Neo's answer above is correct. The problem is the max # of folders & files stored on the key.

Max folders = 2000
Max files = 8000
Max directory layers = 20
Max length of folder/file name = 255Bytes

Note there are other factors as well, such as the characters used in your folders/files. Read page 3-15 of the multimedia system manual for the full list of technical specs required for your USB mp3 device.

Solution:

Buy 32GB keys and split up your collection. Even a 64GB will max out on mp3 files before it is filled. You might have to edit some file/folder names and/or the file structure (especially possible if you downloaded a lot of your mp3s but never changed the filenames).

Stupid? Yes. But hey, we all bought it...

Also note that afaik, all car stereos have a limit on the # of files on a USB device, although in my van the Kenwood recognizes MUCH larger devices & # of files than on the Kia's.

(All info from Car Multimedia System User's Manual, page 3-15)

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 04-12-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page