Modification: Steteo and speaker upgrade - Page 2 - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6PD View Post
I really like the Harmon Kardon in my EX. If anything I would consider adding more sound deadening, and quiet the interior even more! No need really to swap stereo components yet!

You guys are lucky in the states.. You are able to get with the EX trim, the HK sound package.! Not over here.!

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (9000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 10:47 PM

Dave -

As far as my limited research on this subject went, I found no stereo shop even willing to consider replacing the head unit with anything but the stock unit. The systems integration makes the head unit a permanent fixture - at least, for now. *Hopefully* someone will make an aftermarket stereo for the Niro, but I am skeptical that anyone ever will.

Amp/speakers/sub seems to be the only real way to customize the stereo.

Now, it is possible that the HK system for the Niro could be installed, I didn't look any further into it when I discovered our cheaper head unit is a $1600 part.

Considering our warranties only cover the dash electronics for 3/36, I'll be selling mine in the beginning of year 3 latest. Probably much sooner, as the lack of bluetooth text support is a 100% deal breaker for me.

But PLEASE, if anyone here can contradict my reply, do so. I'd keep the car longer if I could put a head unit in which is better suited to my needs (and sounds better).
Dave likes this.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:15 AM

Garage
I am sure I would be fine with the H-K premium audio. But I have the regular, stock audio, and it leaves a great deal to be desired.

And I recognize one cannot get audiophile quality on the road, that's not what I'm after. Was just trying to give the background that I have exacting needs when it comes to music in the car, is all. I would not wear headphones while driving; that's not safe IMO.

A concern I have is that it may not be possible to replace the head unit in any case, because of how fully it's integrated into all the computerized controls and features. So I'm trying to figure out how much improvement would be realized with replacing the speaker system. Any thoughts folks?

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see RWF's post before writing this. Thanks for that confirmation that the head unit has to stay!

So do folks have any recommendations for what the sweet spot is for replacement speaks? I am willing to spend some $ to maximize the sound quality, but of course I expect that it will only ever be so good from the stock head unit, so there will be a point of diminishing returns beyond which it would be senseless to spend. Any idea what point that might be??

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.

Last edited by Dave; 05-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:51 AM

If you can, listen to JBL's "Club" and "Stadium" speakers. I'm pretty sure they are made in the correct sizes for the Niro (6.75-6.5" for 4 doors + dome tweeters for dash corners), and IMO, some of the very best in the "moderate" price range.

Until Klipsch releases their long-awaited car stereo line, these JBLs are arguably (among) the best for the price.
Dave likes this.

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 05-14-2018 at 01:53 AM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 AM

Garage
Thanks again. The Crutchfield site has a "fit wizard" in which you enter your year, make, and model, and it shows you everything they stock that fits. They don't carry absolutely everything of course, but I know they've got lots of JBL so hopefully I can confirm the fit using their site (even if I end up purchasing locally).

Alexandria, VA

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Do keep us informed of before and after sound. If the cost/benefit ratio is beneficial (subjective I know), I might follow.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
Do keep us informed of before and after sound. If the cost/benefit ratio is beneficial (subjective I know), I might follow.
Will do.

Alexandria, VA

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:21 PM

Crutchfield now has Focal and other speakers

I just ordered a Focal setup for my car, replacing the severely lacking H-K speakers. I hope this improves the sound, as I commute an hour each direction.

ETA: They also seem to have upgraded their fitment wizard. It shows speakers for each position now, although only the one Focal 8" woofer.
RedWouldForrest likes this.

Last edited by AZguy; 06-01-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added thought
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:44 AM

AZguy -

Please don't be a one-post wonder. Speaking for myself, I am anxiously awaiting your followup, accompanied with your opinions once installed & further info (model #, price, etc.)

Note that a quick check at Crutchfield showed no change for available speakers for my '17 LX, but I do not have the HK package nor did I check the aftermarket options for available speakers.

Which speaker position did the fitment wizard suggest for your 8" Focal?

Do tell...
Dave likes this.

Last edited by RedWouldForrest; 06-02-2018 at 01:49 AM.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Garage
Also very interested to learn how this goes, being still in the process of identifying aftermarket speaker replacements myself...

Alexandria, VA

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page