Modification: Steteo and speaker upgrade - Page 3 - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:58 PM

You can use your factory head unit

All you need is an amplifier and wire it correctly. I had it done on previous vehicles. This is my plan....

Focal or Hertz Pro Series components on the front and Focal or Hertz Pro Series 6.5" 2 way on the back... connected to a 4 channel amp

8 or 10" sub that requires minimal air space connected to a 2 channel mono amp.. I want something where the sub box is as small and light as possible... I don't want to kill the MPG with a big box. The perfect place for the amps is the spare tire area.... But, some mods are required to do it. The basic easy way is under the front seats...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:18 PM

How does that work hooking up an amp? Is there a pre-out on the head unit? Or some sort of voltage reduction system on the amp?

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
How does that work hooking up an amp? Is there a pre-out on the head unit? Or some sort of voltage reduction system on the amp?

You need a converter that costs about $20.. What it does is it uses the wires for 1 set of your factory speakers and converts it to the input/output RCAs that connect to the amp.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:20 PM

eeew, line level converters are garbage. Always noisy, never clear. No such thing as an acceptable one, IMO.

The lack of true pre outs on this head unit is the final straw. Getting aggressive about selling right about now.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:32 PM

I know you have good reason to sell, but I don't think it would cost that much to tap into the high (line) level outputs. You would just have to find an electronics whiz. $100 would seem fair. Likely under an hour of work.

I've never heard of a line level converter before. Obviously it would be best not to have that step, but I'd bet there are acceptable ones out there. Historically much of recorded audio has incredible steps to reduce noise and improve fidelity that has to be managed by the playing equipment. Think RIAA curves or Dolby equalization. Or even digital audio. So it is certainly possible to get a good result using a a variable line level from the head unit amp.

2018 Kia LX HEV Metal Stream with Advanced Tech
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:42 PM

If you want optimum sound, just replace the head unit... There's really no added benefit to keep the factory unit besides the "Hybrid" display feature.. which isn't all that useful, IMO.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:44 PM

Garage
What's a steteo?

No, but really...KK6PD mentioned adding some after-market sound deadening. Is that doable?

I really think that would be the best improvement on stereo sound. I think the system in the EX (I have the EX) is decent, but needs more sound deadening in the car to be appreciated more thoroughly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtermite View Post
What's a steteo?

No, but really...KK6PD mentioned adding some after-market sound deadening. Is that doable?

I really think that would be the best improvement on stereo sound. I think the system in the EX (I have the EX) is decent, but needs more sound deadening in the car to be appreciated more thoroughly.

I spent over $6,000 on the sound system on my previous vehicle.. I think there was probably about 50 lbs of Dynamat to deaden the sound.. That stuff is heavy. It really doesn't make it a huge difference unless you play with your volume up, and your car is thumping from the bass.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 PM

just got my 2019LX this weekend. love the car so far, but the sound is pretty bad.

i'm not an expert, but i'm pretty sure it's just the speakers. will be trying to match specs on some third party door speakers.
has anyone opened the doors to swap them out? how did it go?
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:09 PM

I just had the front speakers replaced today. it is definitely a big improvement and way clearer now. I had a set of JL C1 components put in to replace the factory door and dash speakers. I am going to have the rear doors replaced sometime, probably wait a few months for that though. I am not sure if I am going to get the matching coax version of the C1's or go with a different speaker that might be cheaper, for example they had some memphis speakers that didnt sound too bad and would have been half the cost.
The car still needs some low end. I am just not sure where to tap a 12 volt line to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page