Modification: Steteo and speaker upgrade - Page 4 - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 11:27 PM

Garage
If someone has a schematic of the stereo in the Niro, I will point out the location of the pre-amp out to drive an external power amp. You will have to be able to solder, drill holes and run wiring to effect this mod! Otherwise you will have to find a competent tech to achieve this.

A speaker converter, or Line Level Converter is nothing more, at worst case, a resistor in series with the power amp output to the pre-amp input.. the amount of resistance determines the amount of voltage reduction. Better would be a L pad. Visit this site https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Cal...onLPadCircuit/. Driver impedance is your speaker ohms. Desired attenuation is how much drop in level you want. You will need to know what the max line level in to what ever you are feeding, otherwise distortion results. power out is simply that, power out of the amp that's supplying the signal you want to attenuate.
In the end you might want to consider you are not driving Carnegie Hall, but a SUV with rubber tires on an imperfect road at speeds faster than 0 mph! It is what it is, it will never be Carnegie Hall.
BTW I meant I said, somebody gets me a schematic, I will find you your pre-amp outs!!

73's de Pat KK6PD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:51 PM

well i bought some JBL speakers on cybermonday. hopefully i can get the front door panels off easily without too many broken clips. has anyone seen any good info for 2019 door panel? there are some on youtube for other kias and other years, i assume those are close.

it's probably pretty close to this diagram of 2017...
Kia Niro Owners and Service manuals online Front Door Trim Repair procedures : Front Door
it wont' let me post urls yet!

--------------2019 DCBlue LX Tech Pkg----------
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 AM

ok, so door panels are easy to get off -- ignore previous post.
just working on getting the wiring and adapter rings working on the jbl speakers.

--------------2019 DCBlue LX Tech Pkg----------
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 PM

Hello, I too have been suffering with the inferior sound on my 2018 Niro. This car replaced a 2004 Mitsu Outlander with a stock stereo system that was the best I ever had and it was the middle model, not the best model. I do believe that a speaker upgrade would satisfy me, but I don't know how to go about it. I would expect it to be a plug and play situation where door panels are removed and new speakers put in the place of the old and voilá! Will crutchfeld help me or do I need to go to a special store? Not looking for the best, just better. I like to play music loud without it sounding strained or tinny. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiroDavid View Post
If you want optimum sound, just replace the head unit... There's really no added benefit to keep the factory unit besides the "Hybrid" display feature.. which isn't all that useful, IMO.
What about the climate control info?
That is only displayed on the stereo screen
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscoulter View Post
Hello, I too have been suffering with the inferior sound on my 2018 Niro. This car replaced a 2004 Mitsu Outlander with a stock stereo system that was the best I ever had and it was the middle model, not the best model. I do believe that a speaker upgrade would satisfy me, but I don't know how to go about it. I would expect it to be a plug and play situation where door panels are removed and new speakers put in the place of the old and voilá! Will crutchfeld help me or do I need to go to a special store? Not looking for the best, just better. I like to play music loud without it sounding strained or tinny. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
I have some JL c1 components in the front doors and wow what a difference they made. They do not have a huge bass but for the mids and high end they are really nice for running on head unit power. I have an appointment for next friday to get a set of the c1 coax put in the rear doors and a cerwin vega VPAS12ST installed in the spare tire well to give some of the missing low end.
mscoulter likes this.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwag0n View Post
I have some JL c1 components in the front doors and wow what a difference they made. They do not have a huge bass but for the mids and high end they are really nice for running on head unit power. I have an appointment for next friday to get a set of the c1 coax put in the rear doors and a cerwin vega VPAS12ST installed in the spare tire well to give some of the missing low end.
I am not looking to get a sub or anything but the 4 speakers replaced. the main reason is that I want more bass than what it gets from the stock speakers. I don't think the speakers you chose will do that without a sub based on what you said.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:31 PM

The JL's are nice for clarity but definitely not great for bass.
Honestly I have never had any 6.5 or even 6x9 that really gave great low end. At least not without creating a line array or creating something like a 6th order bandpass or something like that. As far as just slapping in replacement speakers with no extra amp or sound processing I am not aware of any speakers that are both high sensitivity and can deliver a clean low frequency response in a speaker that is shallow enough to fit in the doors of the niro without modification. There may be some out there and sound is soo subjective that what is acceptable bass to you may be nothing for me or vice versa.
If you are just looking for some bass and not high end anything else you may want to look at one of those small underseat woofers. There are many companies that make quality units like Infinity, JBL and the like.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwag0n View Post
The JL's are nice for clarity but definitely not great for bass.
Honestly I have never had any 6.5 or even 6x9 that really gave great low end. At least not without creating a line array or creating something like a 6th order bandpass or something like that. As far as just slapping in replacement speakers with no extra amp or sound processing I am not aware of any speakers that are both high sensitivity and can deliver a clean low frequency response in a speaker that is shallow enough to fit in the doors of the niro without modification. There may be some out there and sound is soo subjective that what is acceptable bass to you may be nothing for me or vice versa.
If you are just looking for some bass and not high end anything else you may want to look at one of those small underseat woofers. There are many companies that make quality units like Infinity, JBL and the like.
In my old Mitsubishi Outlander (2004), the stock speakers were awesome. I had to keep the bass flat and increase midrange and treble for most music I listen to. If only I knew what brand they were. Is there any way to find out?
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 PM

When I look at the reviews of speaker replacements at crutchfield they are all mixed. they all have some complaint about bass response not being enough but also praise about it being good. I wish there was a way to sample them instead of buying blind. I realize that others are buying for different cars, but not sure why such a disparity in opinions. Has anyone replaced the 4 speakers been satisfied without adding a sub?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page