Modification: Steteo and speaker upgrade - Kia Niro Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Modification: Steteo and speaker upgrade

I've got an EX and am happy with the car. I'd be happier with a better sound system. Has anyone switched out Niro speakers and or stereo? If so, I'd love some product recommendations.
MizAndie4245 and Dave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM

I am leaning to speaker upgrade, and not fiddle with the head unit. However with idatalink from maestro pretty much every car feature and more can still be shown on the screen.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:08 PM

All depends on how crazy you want to go. Some guys would go with traditional alpines or pioneers. I much prefer to go with something like Focals but they're pretty expensive. Other than that, JBL does make some nice aftermarket speaker upgrades.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Would you ever consider getting sound proofing done? Some people I know have done that with stock speakers, after the job was done they saw no need to get better speakers. These cars aren't as well insulated as some higher end luxury vehicles so sound quality will always be compromised.
jerp777 and KK6PD like this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:56 AM

I have a LX and swapped out the factory speakers for Infinity Kappa 60.11cs components in the front doors and Infinity Kappa 60.11i co-axials in the back doors. They sound great.
I want to ad an 8" sub, but I need to do more research to find out if there is a low level output on the backside of the head unit to access instead of tapping into a high level from another speaker.
MizAndie4245 likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:33 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my EX. Can you tell me how they sound in comparison to the stock speakers and how easy/difficult the installation is? I've seen those speakers on Crutchfield's site and I'm tempted to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiroLX777 View Post
I have a LX and swapped out the factory speakers for Infinity Kappa 60.11cs components in the front doors and Infinity Kappa 60.11i co-axials in the back doors. They sound great.
I want to ad an 8" sub, but I need to do more research to find out if there is a low level output on the backside of the head unit to access instead of tapping into a high level from another speaker.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Garage
Reviving this thread because I have the same question. Love the car, definitely don't love the sound system. Willing to pay some money to upgrade.

Head unit: Stay or replace? Will I lose the ability to access all the computerized gimcrackery if I replace the stock unit? Is there even anything out there that DOES replace the head unit? Crutchfield's site says No, but CarID has a bunch of "universal" units including ones with similar-looking touchscreens and so on. More trouble than it's worth?

Speakers: Is the poor sound a function of the speakers or the head unit? If the sound quality from the head is only mediocre, no amount of speaker replacement will make a diff. But if the speakers are known to be subpar, then maybe what would best serve me is just doing that. I suppose I could do the speaks and then if still not good enough, delve into replacing the head?

Subwoofer: Are replacement speakers with low freq response (e.g. 50-500 Hz) sufficient, or is a powered sub a must? Not much space to put one of those in, though...

Would greatly appreciate the wisdom of the Niro Collective...

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For the owners of the Touring and EX with optional sound system... How is the Harman/Kardon® Premium Surround Sound like ?

Eric, The Canadian Guy !!

Kia Niro 2019 - PHEV SX - Snow White Pearl (13000 km)

Kia Niro 2018 - HEV EX 9000 km - Ocean Blue (Deep Cerulean) 6 months of pure pleasure.!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 PM

i think Harman/Kardon sounds great. it goes fairly loud but I am not cranking it up much
lafe005 likes this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Garage
I really like the Harmon Kardon in my EX. If anything I would consider adding more sound deadening, and quiet the interior even more! No need really to swap stereo components yet!

73's de Pat KK6PD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page