Looking for best place to connect DVR to installation - Kia Niro Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Looking for best place to connect DVR to installation

In my previous car I've DVR connected to the fotochromatic mirror (usually it's activated with ignition).

Could somebody confirm that the same is here? I assume that mirror have to receive some signal that ignition was turned on - question is if this is separate wire, or by CAN bus.

Second option which I've tested (in previous car) was interior lightning system (there was some battery saving module which disconnected power from lightning system after half hour from closing car).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrzoch View Post
In my previous car I've DVR connected to the fotochromatic mirror (usually it's activated with ignition).

Could somebody confirm that the same is here? I assume that mirror have to receive some signal that ignition was turned on - question is if this is separate wire, or by CAN bus.

Second option which I've tested (in previous car) was interior lightning system (there was some battery saving module which disconnected power from lightning system after half hour from closing car).
I'm assuming you mean the center rear view mirror, if so, it is a regular mirror so there are no electronics connected to it. There is no current option for it to be foto chromatic, it doesn't even have a garage door opener. That being said, some people have successfully installed a self-dimming mirror.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

In mine Niro it is fotochromatic mirror.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 08:21 AM

If you have the LCD auto dimming mirror, there is 12VDC which is switched with the ignition. The wire gauge is small and not going to carry much current.

I would check the circuitry before trying the following:

I would by a camera which shuts down a few minutes after it no longer detects the vehicle motion and wire it to the main power for the map lights. The accessory power will shutdown a few minutes after the ignition is shut off. If you don't car about some extra recording until the accessory power shuts down, you can use your camera.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cary, NI2Q - Amateur Extra Class
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrzoch View Post
In mine Niro it is fotochromatic mirror.
Same here, my EX w/Advanced Tech package has the auto-dimming mirror.

2018 EX w/Adv Tech, Metal Stream
Alexandria, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This space intentionally left blank.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page